Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New and want to get into racing

Old 10-23-2016, 03:24 PM
Boostedawd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and want to get into racing

So a week ago I bought a dominus 10sc truck...its a blast, ran it on a local track for 2 battery cycles and did decent - now I have the itch to do more amd get into racing. I've narrowed in on the slash 4x4 and I think I want the one with TSM. Today I went to the opening race and the 2 guys running the store said sure buy that truck but you need to get sensor speed controller and a bigger motor and a faster steering servo. Now thats like speaking chinese to me considering I have zero mechanical ability. I do know that the steering was terrible on the dominus so i can understand the steering part...are the others a necessity to race? The bigger question is, if I upgrade to their suggestions, does that remove the aid of TSM? I want to get the best bang for my buck "out of the box" so would it be better to buy a cheapy 4x4 and pay someone to hop it up, or just get this slash 4x4? The model I was looking at was 68086-3. Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

TSM is built into the radio system with a gyro in the receiver. Changing other components won't effect the TSM. But having TSM is useless on a track since it's a drivers aid and illegal in racing. If you're found using it you'll be disqualified, possibly thrown out or banned depending on the track.

Now as for the rest, it depends. Most tracks have amateur or stock classes with limitations on modifications. This is not always the case and it depends on vehicle type. 4wd typically only has one class and that class is modified where to be competitive you need a bigger aftermarket motor and faster steering servo. What if you're ok not being competitive and just want to run can you run the stock motor? If the track follows ROAR rules requiring a sensored motor then no you can't because the stock motor and esc (is sensorless and) doesn't conform to ROAR rules. So you need to ask them if the rules state you must run sensored for the 4wd SCT class or if that was just their recommendation to be competitive. The stock steering servo actually isn't that bad for a ready to run, good torque but a bit on the slow side.

Now for recommendations. First, watch some videos, do whatever you have to do to and learn how to wrench. Replacing a motor is a piece of cake. Replace the motor and esc in your Dominus with a bigger and better setup. Then run it. Get the drive time in, practice on the track, improve your driving skills. The Slash 4x4 may be a step up from the Dominus but it's not the best track weapon in my opinion. Not compared to other vehicles out there.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:35 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Boosted, welcome! Great to hear the enthusiasm. This is a fun hobby.
You should check with the local club racers, but I suspect that TSM / AVC are not allowed in sanctioned racing. Besides, you should just, you know, learn to drive? Is your Dominus the 2wd or 4wd version? A 2wd truck will teach you how to drive better. In fact, most racing at the club level and above are mostly 2wd, with maybe a 4wd buggy or truggy class. A 4wd short course truck IS easier to drive than a 2wd truck, and that's a bonus when you're just out fartin' around with your buddies, but if your local track doesn't have a class for you to run it in...your kinda out of it. So my advice is, if you want to race, go see what most of the local racers are running. And ask questions, most folks are happy to chat about their cars and give you advice.

I would also hold off on buying the Traxxas truck. I've been around this forum quite a while, and I've never heard of anyone racing a Traxxas vehicle at a track. At least not seriously. It's not that they're bad, or that it can't be done, it's just there are other brands more suited to track racing. Most race rigs are Techno, Durango, TLR, Associated, etc. And the Techno and Durango don't even come with wheels or electronics for your $400. Yeah, ouch! Not a hobby for the ill of means.

As for all the upgrades the guys were talking about... I'm kind of ambivalent about sensored vs non-sensored motor systems. A sensored system is supposed to have better "feel" and low-speed control. But I don't know it matters so much, IF the ESC has a good start up routine for the sensorless motor. See, the sensor is there so the ESC, the speed controller, knows where the motor is in its rotation. In a sensorless motor system, the ESC has to sense where the motor is by first giving it a "kick" to get it moving. Then once the rotor is turning a little, the ESC can sense it and switches to "drive mode" and off you go. How well the ESC is programmed to do that start-up routine will determine how well the car behaves at initial roll out. Most sensorless systems these days are pretty good, and I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in how the car drives. I've got a sensored motor system in my 4x4 SCT, and a sensorless system in my smaller truggy. Both of them feel the same to me.

Also, you said "....buy a cheapy and pay someone to hop it up for me..?" Dude, it's a hobby. The idea is, you learn about the ins and outs of it on your own. That's part of the enjoyment. Ya know? Hop ups, shmop ups. First you're going to have to learn about your car and how to work on it. They DO require maintenance you know. Bearings need replacing, diffs and shocks need refilling with fluid...and you need tools to do that with. Lubes, fluids, tools....ah, don't forget batteries and a good charger! Oh and racing transponders are like $50, unless the track rents them. Like I said, brudda, not a hobby for the ill of means. Or of little patience. Hang around the hobby store or track on practice days, ask questions, see what the other guys are running. Gather data. Then go buy your new race rig.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:10 AM
Boostedawd

Guys thanks for the opinions. I suppose Ill have to go back to the track for more inquiring. They did mention they follow roar rules, however also told me i could go buy that truck and race it there stock which contradicts you saying it has an illegal motor. I did figure that the TSM was illegal for track, however thought it might be cool while bashing at home. I would consider myself a pretty good driver already without any aids. Trust me I realize I need to learn to work on these bad boys but I manage a car dealership and time is precious as I already work 60-70 hours a week and any free time is spent with the wife and 3 yr old whom I eventually hope to get into this too. The money really isnt the issue, just the knowledge and time at the moment ha ha. Ive not heard of the other brands you mentioned other than associated which I was checking out their 4wd truck but at the 3 hobby shops Ive been to, everyone tells me to stay with Traxxas because of parts and aftermarket availability. Only one of the 3 shops carried associated and I'm not sure how their parts stock is.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:57 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedawd
...Today I went to the opening race and the 2 guys running the store said sure buy that truck but you need to get sensor speed controller and a bigger motor and a faster steering servo...
That being said, you will be better off getting a 4wd kit to put on the track. Which is a good thing. I don't know of any RTR 4wd short course truck that comes with a sensored system in it. I don't know of too many RTRs that I would get to show up at a track and start racing with, unless the track had a novice class. Track worthy 4wd short course RTRs... that's an even slimmer selection. Buying a kit and putting in electronics you want will be cheaper in the long run. Buying a RTR package with "so-so" gear and motor you can't even use is not good idea. Just my opinion and like Mechicaloverlord said, find out what rules the track has on motors.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:31 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Boostedawd
... I want to get the best bang for my buck "out of the box" so would it be better to buy a cheapy 4x4 and pay someone to hop it up, or just get this slash 4x4? ...
The initial cost to get a person up and racing is sometimes a shocker in terms of $$$ needed for components. Back in the day, a person had it easy to jump into racing short course trucks with an off-the-shelf 2wd Slash stock/spec class...everyone had the same RC; charge the battery and race. Not so many places offer classes like this any more. While at the track/hobby shop, check out their used section for a possible 4wd SCT platform that will fit you needs.

Out of the box? What is cheapy, and out of the budget? Losi TEN SCTE 3.0 or Tekno SCT410.3
Old 10-24-2016, 09:08 AM
EXT2Rob

The reason Traxxas is everywhere is because they spend lots of money on advertising, and, because they make it very easy for stores to carry their stuff...they don't charge the stores up front for stock. I don't know if they're the "fastest name in radio control" but they certainly are the most ubiquitous. The 300lb gorilla of the RC world. Consequently, every after market manufacturer makes "upgrade" parts for Traxxas. But they also make parts for Associated, Losi, and Axial....

As a busy family man, we understand your time restrictions. You don't want to spend a lot of time online researching, or looking for parts. (Although, Tower Hobbies dot com, is the 300lb gorilla of online RC) So yeah, if you have a hobby store nearby, you'll probably want to patronize them. That's perfectly ok. We're not saying to avoid Traxxas. But if you're serious about the racing thing, you really need to talk to the other racers at the track, see what they're running, and find out about what classes the track supports.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:45 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
The reason Traxxas is everywhere is because they spend lots of money on advertising, and, because they make it very easy for stores to carry their stuff...
You got that right! Their team of marketers did everything right. Well, almost in my mind.

Traxxas, put a 4wd short course kit on the market @ reasonable price, I'll be the first in line for one...race worthy or not. I'm starting to lean towards Tekno and HoBao for my 4wd SCT needs. The time is soon near; I can taste it. I'd be knocking everyone down already if HoBao had a Hyper 10SC Pro kit on the market for me to assemble. It's a little outdated and too light, but I think I could deal with it for my "bashing" purposes .

You know, that gives me an idea.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:35 AM
EXT2Rob

Rusty, the HoBao 10SC does come as a "80% kit", meaning 80% built, you add your tires and electronics of choice. Not a full build it yourself kit, but.... I'd love to see you get one.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:56 AM
Mechanicaloverlord

Just had a look at ROAR rule book and sensorless is legal for all electric classes. They did change the sensored only rule for 1/8 a few years back but still required sensored for 1/10 last I checked. Obviously no longer the case making the Traxxas motor legal. Sensored is smoother in the application of both throttle and brake not just down low but all over. It is an advantage if your throttle finger can use it, if you have an itchy trigger finger it's not gonna help you.

There are still a myriad of rules regarding motors in short course truck classes that MAY vary track by track. Some may only allow 540 size motors, some may allow 550 or other size motors.

There's more to choose from in 4x4 act these days but plenty do actually race Slash 4x4's. They just aren't very stock when the owner is serious about placing up at the top. Aftermarket motor/esc, shocks, driveshafts, chassis, etc. By the time you add it all up the "race" truck competition doesn't look as expensive, and as a benefit you can more easily imitate another person's setup. Got a Durango or AE? Go to their websites and lookup setup sheets or just ask for tips at the track from someone with the same truck. With a Slash 4x4 if you don't have the same aftermarket shocks and other parts the setup from another racer is useless to you leaving you on your own for a starting point. What parts the track or local shop has in stock should be considered as well.