Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Crickets....

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Crickets....

Old 06-17-2020, 12:06 PM
R_Strowe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this point, until the FAA posts it's Final Rule, there's nothing on that front to discuss.

I will say this; unless the FAA adds a reasonable RID solution for 'legacy' model aircraft, I'll be delivering most of my fleet to the local FSDO, along with an invoice for the loss incurred.

R_Strowe
Old 06-17-2020, 03:59 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Actually, it's still quiet. Just a matter of ignoring the troll
then...

QUIT QUOTING THE TROLL!
Old 06-17-2020, 05:06 PM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have taken the whole "crickets" thing wrong. Yes it has been quite around here, in this forum topic, but I took it as a comment on the site as a whole. At least in the airplane and heli forums there seem to be very few posts. I've tried to respond in other areas but really nothing seems to be happening here in general. This really is a well organized forum site.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:15 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmors
I may have taken the whole "crickets" thing wrong. Yes it has been quite around here, in this forum topic, but I took it as a comment on the site as a whole. At least in the airplane and heli forums there seem to be very few posts. I've tried to respond in other areas but really nothing seems to be happening here in general. This really is a well organized forum site.
Yep, if things got any slower around here they'd be going backwards.

Mike
Old 06-19-2020, 05:26 AM
franklin_m

Here, I'll ask two questions...

Does anyone else think the AMA's NATS push has an air of desperation about it? I submit the following as evidence:
- Extended deadline
- No fees for first timers (i.e. not enough repeats to make it profitable)
- Major host groups cancelled participation, but AMA says (paraphrased) "not cancelling the events themselves"

What happens to AMA if NPRM gets published largely as written? ... Do they take a more engaged role in clubs, perhaps buying much more sites outright, if nothing else to preserve flying sites?

Last edited by franklin_m; 06-19-2020 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Fix line spacing
Old 06-20-2020, 09:33 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

What we actually are is a group of like minded people that expect certain things for our money and can see those expectations are not being met and, in this case, it's not even close.
Please correct me if I’m wrong but you’re not even an AMA member so when you say “our money” who’s coat tails are you riding?

IF the AMA was doing what it was founded to do, be a clearing house of information, an insurance source and place to find local clubs, you wouldn't see this and other threads.
This is exactly what they are doing. I find information before I travel in the USA on clubs along my route and make contact with the same. I ask any questions pertaining to flying in the USA and usually receive a reply in 24 hours. I don’t have need of AMA insurance but those members who fly in Canada have the same coverage they enjoy in the USA and it’s adequate.

A lobbying group that lobbies for itself rather than what it was chartered to be, an organization that supports flyers.
This in the end may indeed be the answer for the AMA survival attempting to be all things to all people often results in pleasing no one. Most non members insist they want nothing to do with following AMA rules/guidelines so why bother attempting engaging with them. Protect and endorse the paid membership and work towards a carve out for the members only. MAAC did just that in Canada during the time Transport Canada drafted the rules for all RPAS in Canada MAAC was busy lobbying on behalf of its 12,000 or so members to get a carve out that allows us to fly as we always have and those that wish to fly on their own have to fly under the rules of Transport Canada. I think the big mistake was the AMA attempting to be all things to all fliers.

Again not being an AMA member in good standing how do you expect to have or work towards goals of the AMA except to ride someone’s coat tails. That’s not a troll but it might well be a parasite LOL.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:10 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by astrohog
Actually, that is what happens when the, "good ole boy club" members have been backed into a corner with the facts and asked direct questions that they know if they answer will prove them to be the hypocrites that they are. Go back and check the history of these threads, they always go silent when the trolls are backed into a corner. Quite interesting, really!.

Astro
I would bet dollars to donuts the good ol boys don't feel backed in a corner at all they just find engaging with the half dozen or so of you guys not very meaningful or productive.

I for instance have been flying my fleet and working on others waiting paitently until the border opens and again I can travel to the good ol USA to fly with friends. I have contacted many and they are having no problem with their fields. I flew at Deland a few years ago and as far as I know they are still active at the end of one of the inactive runways at the airport. I don’t imagine they are the only club flying from airport property or next to it.

In Canada there are more than a few in the same position flying from airport property or next too without problem. I believe there are several clubs located on military or next to military air bases.

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Here, I'll ask two questions...

Does anyone else think the AMA's NATS push has an air of desperation about it? I submit the following as evidence:

-Extended deadline
- No fees for first timers (i.e. not enough repeats to make it profitable)
- Major host groups cancelled participation, but AMA says (paraphrased) "not cancelling the events themselves"
​​​​​​​I don’t see it as an act of desperation simply look at other events that have been altered or rescheduled in an attempt to salvage what they can and attempt to accommodate those who have made the commitment to attend. The easy way out is to simply cancel not attempt to provide some sort of venue.

Now I have Sat, Sun and Monday off and its hot I need to install my AC in the garage, finish getting my camper and toy trailer ready to roll. Hardly backed into a corner just busier than a one legged man at an azz kicking contest. If I have time I may check in on this little cloister later.LOL
Old 06-20-2020, 12:47 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Propworn
I would bet dollars to donuts the good ol boys don't feel backed in a corner at all they just find engaging with the half dozen or so of you guys not very meaningful or productive.
I just asked a couple of simple questions.....seems if they wanted meaningful conversation, they would answer them. LOL

Spin away, troll!
Old 06-20-2020, 01:38 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

The extended deadline should be self-evident.

As for this
If a SIG withdraws there will be no NATS for that segment. They may host an event in that time slot with an alternate CD or whatever, but that will not be a NAT event.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Please correct me if I’m wrong but you’re not even an AMA member so when you say “our money” who’s coat tails are you riding?
I'm not riding anyone's coat tails. Since I won't ever go to Muncie, I can't see funding it. Now, if the AMA were to start being fiscally smart, I might join but, since they're not, my refusing to join should tell those that are members that Muncie needs to start thinking before they spend. Seems pretty simple to me, I don't pay for things I won't use so give me something worth paying for and I might.

This is exactly what they are doing. I find information before I travel in the USA on clubs along my route and make contact with the same. I ask any questions pertaining to flying in the USA and usually receive a reply in 24 hours. I don’t have need of AMA insurance but those members who fly in Canada have the same coverage they enjoy in the USA and it’s adequate.
Funding a museum, a store and a flying field isn't what the AMA was founded to do, hence my post. They need to cut the dead wood if they want to survive, something they either can't or won't do. Again, I won't pay for things that I won't use so why spend my money to fund Muncie?

This in the end may indeed be the answer for the AMA survival attempting to be all things to all people often results in pleasing no one. Most non members insist they want nothing to do with following AMA rules/guidelines so why bother attempting engaging with them. Protect and endorse the paid membership and work towards a carve out for the members only. MAAC did just that in Canada during the time Transport Canada drafted the rules for all RPAS in Canada MAAC was busy lobbying on behalf of its 12,000 or so members to get a carve out that allows us to fly as we always have and those that wish to fly on their own have to fly under the rules of Transport Canada. I think the big mistake was the AMA attempting to be all things to all fliers.
This is the one thing I think we can agree on, but for the AMA it may be too late. It's lost its credibility with many flyers, as well as with the FAA and Congress. What the powers that be need to do is start working on getting its credibility and trust re-established with those that don't believe what they are being told and, if they can do that, the organization might survive. If they can't, they need to throw in the towel now before they drag the hobby down with them

Again not being an AMA member in good standing how do you expect to have or work towards goals of the AMA except to ride someone’s coat tails. That’s not a troll but it might well be a parasite LOL.
I addressed your questions that were worth answering above. As far as being a parasite, that is something that would apply more to you than me
Old 06-21-2020, 05:41 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Yep! Any nameless person on the internet that will anonymously judge me as a " lawbreaker " for flying over 400' yet be in attendance at an event and witnessing the same thing and say/do nothing about it.......well you get my point. I guess it's easier to hold onto your convictions on the internet when there is no accountability. BTW, currently loading up and will be participating in another sailplane contest in a couple hours. Pretty sure that will create all sorts of assumptions with a good dose of name calling.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:51 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Yep! Any nameless person on the internet that will anonymously judge me as a " lawbreaker " for flying over 400'
What does this even mean?
Well, let's look at the facts....If you fly over 400' you ARE a lawbreaker! (unless you have some sort of exemption, of course). Not sure what the nameless person on the internet has to do with anything, that is just your ludicrous justification for your actions that do not serve the rest of the AMA membership very well.
LOL yet be in attendance at an event and witnessing the same thing and say/do nothing about it
Aaahhhh......grasshopper.............your assumptions will make an ass out of yourself......I DID say something.....it went completely ignored, just as you are completely ignoring reality and the facts right now! It was just another example of how the AMA's, "Self-policing" policy is woefully inadequate. Tell me why I would want to be the member that politely tells you, Speed, that you are breaking the law by flying over 400', and you tell me to mind my own business, you are going to do what you want, and then rant about how some "nameless" person is trying to judge you as a "lawbreaker"! LOL WHAT world do you live in?

well you get my point. I guess it's easier to hold onto your convictions on the internet when there is no accountability.
What does this even mean? If you are going to accuse me of something, please cite where I actually did it. YOU CAN'T, IT DIDN"T HAPPEN! Only in your head!
No, I don't get your point. Your posts are absolute gibberish that only make sense in your head to justify your actions that are completely unjustifiable!
Pretty sure that will create all sorts of assumptions with a good dose of name calling.
UMMM..pot...kettle...black? Remember Speed, YOU are the one that is the name-caller.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:53 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
The extended deadline should be self-evident.
And waiving of fees does first timers? Could it be that participation is falling?

As for this

If a SIG withdraws there will be no NATS for that segment. They may host an event in that time slot with an alternate CD or whatever, but that will not be a NAT event.
So it’s a no different than any event held anywhere else in the country then? Holding “Not NAT” events at the NATS, AFTER the SIGs cancel, sure has a ring of desperation
Old 06-21-2020, 07:55 AM
franklin_m

Yep! Any nameless person on the internet that will anonymously judge me as a " lawbreaker " for flying over 400' yet be in attendance at an event and witnessing the same thing and say/do nothing about it.......well you get my point. I guess it's easier to hold onto your convictions on the internet when there is no accountability. BTW, currently loading up and will be participating in another sailplane contest in a couple hours. Pretty sure that will create all sorts of assumptions with a good dose of name calling.
if you violate section 349, then you cannot say that hobby flyers are not the problem.

Unless of course you’re going to argue that law breaking is not a problem.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:58 AM
BarracudaHockey

And waiving of fees does first timers? Could it be that participation is falling?

As for this

So it’s a no different than any event held anywhere else in the country then? Holding “Not NAT” events at the NATS, AFTER the SIGs cancel, sure has a ring of desperation
Not sure where you get desperation. There are folks that plan vacations and go there every year, they asked that they be able to do so whether or not their SIG decided to pull their Nats, I think it reeks of accommodation to the membership personally.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:31 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for this

Cv-19 was a game changer this year. Not a good year to gauge anything. I think next year will be the determining factor to see if the NAT's are worth having.

Mike
Old 06-21-2020, 10:14 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Cv-19 was a game changer this year. Not a good year to gauge anything. I think next year will be the determining factor to see if the NAT's are worth having.

Mike
Precisely!
Old 06-22-2020, 06:59 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
Understood. But if I recall correctly, they waived fees for first timers well before Covid hit. Which if true would indicate to me declining attendance.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:03 AM
franklin_m

Not sure where you get desperation. There are folks that plan vacations and go there every year, they asked that they be able to do so whether or not their SIG decided to pull their Nats, I think it reeks of accommodation to the membership personally.
For a fee ... of course!

All for “Non-NATS” events, held at the NATS, even after the SIGs sponsoring the NATS events - canceled them.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:30 AM
BarracudaHockey

Twist it all you like, I'm telling you what happened.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:43 AM
franklin_m

Twist it all you like, I'm telling you what happened.
Policy offering discounted participation for first timers (issued before COVID), for what is supposed to be "THE" major event hosted by your organization - is hardly a sign of steady or increasing attendance.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:42 PM
astrohog

....and.....crickets.......
Old 06-26-2020, 04:52 AM
Hydro Junkie

chirp....chirp....chirp.........
Anyone know where we can find some frogs or toads?
Old 06-26-2020, 05:12 AM
Propworn

Try a mirror or just look around LOL my bad. Sorry Junk ya walked into that one 😅
Old 06-26-2020, 08:30 AM
Hydro Junkie

Actually, I didn't. It was just you showing how big of __________ you can be. Feel free to fill in the blank with anything you like, I would probably be censured with what I'd fill it in with

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-26-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.