Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Anyone have issues with Sig Manufacturing

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Anyone have issues with Sig Manufacturing

Old 07-31-2022, 05:20 PM
Jim Dross
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have issues with Sig Manufacturing

I do not know if this is a "Heads Up" or not. I placed an order with Sig for a lot of building material, Paid for it all, was then notified by Sig that most is on "Back Order" and will be in stock within 30 days. On day 36 I contacted Sig Customer Service about the status of my order only to be told that they are still waiting for supplies. I then asked for a Refund and was told that it would take 30 days to refund my money. I was then told that a "Previous Owner" has taken back control of the business. I proposed to them that I would take a Kit in exchange of the the refund which was met with their approval. I then gave them a list of kits only to be told that they too were on "Back Order", I did manage to get a kit that was not on my list plus a set of plans and some covering material. When I see these actions in the business world it usually the sign of a "Failing Business"
Has anyone else noticed this with Sig ? Over the last few decades I have built a lot of their kits and ordered a lot of other "Stuff" they always had everything in stock along with prompt delivery.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:38 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put in a order ,in April, for some dope and sanding sealer and have gotten the " waiting for the components to arrive". Hope this isn't a trend.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:44 PM
Jim Dross

I buy my Dope from Univair, I buy clear by the gallon colors by the quart, thinners by the gallon.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:55 AM
Jim Dross

Today (9-13-22) I checked their Website (SIG) and noticed nearly all of their RC kits are on "Back Order" ARF's the same.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:24 AM
CellTech

Originally Posted by Jim Dross
Today (9-13-22) I checked their Website (SIG) and noticed nearly all of their RC kits are on "Back Order" ARF's the same.
Sig is not the Sig of old. The days of Maxey, Hazel, Claude and Gretz are long gone. I think the last kit they came out with was the 4*20 about fifteen years ago. Their is absolutely no innovation or new products in many years. Nothing is in stock, only showing back order. I would not send them any money, you might not see it again. I sense Doom!
Old 09-16-2022, 12:19 PM
PilotSpike

According to email exchanges with them it seems that they are expecting stock to come back late Sept / early Oct. Lets give them a bit of space to see if they are able to make that happen.

J
Old 09-20-2022, 11:11 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just at their factory last weekend for the Sig Fly-In. Yes there are lots of things that are out of stock. They have changed their website to reflect that the kits are sold out, which I believe are to prevent people from ordering them only to find out later that they are out of stock. They are working to fulfill orders but there are supply issues and just not enough people in my opinion. If you are wanting something in particular, you need to call and speak with someone and they will tell you whether they can ship that immediately or not, then you can decide if you want to place an order.

You have to realize that they sell worldwide, so say they manage to get 3000 Kadet Mark II' kits in stock. They will be gone instantly due to back orders, then the kit is "sold out" again. Everyone is just going to have to be patient with them. They will be back, but it is going to take time.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:20 AM
PilotSpike

Actually at the point the website wont let you order any kits that are out of stock. OOC, i had assumed that they make the kits there at their facility. Do they not? Do they outsource that?

J
Old 09-25-2022, 12:01 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had no issues and quick delivery of parts I ordered. They make the best ARF aircraft and kits. Love Sig....
Aloha,
Bob Paris
Old 09-27-2022, 11:23 AM
CellTech

Sig does not make ARFs. Their ARFs are made in Vietnam. Also it looks like Gator RC has taken over the distributorship of Seagull Models which are no longer shown on Sig's web site. Zero inventory on Sig RC kits which have always been made at Sig. i got to wonder if they don't have the people to make the kits, out of wood or perhaps out of money. It would be nice if they put up a notice saying what is going on. This is not a good sign of a happy company
Old 09-27-2022, 11:32 AM
PilotSpike

Well, if they have no money, that very large shipment of ARFS thats coming raises some question. They may have a ton of capital tied up into ARF runs, looking for proceeds to fund balsa purchases or some such.

J
Old 09-30-2022, 12:25 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

As the manager of a furniture store for the last 33 years I can tell you the struggle to get certain merchandise or parts is real. There are many reasons but knowing the reason wont make it come any quicker. Our world is a world of patience at this point. If patience is a problem don't order until merchandise status is checked.

David
The following 2 users liked this post by daveopam:
bchapman (10-01-2022), speedracerntrixie (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 09:03 AM
russhd1954

Waited 6 months for an order. Had to finally cancel order. Was told 30 days to get a refund 2 months ago.
Sig is done. 10/28/22 Just escalated my complaint with PayPal. Maybe they can get some action from what’s left of Sig.

Last edited by russhd1954; 10-28-2022 at 05:44 AM. Reason: More info
Old 10-31-2022, 06:39 AM
cjbotox
My Feedback: (11)

SIG Mfg is alive, but not well. This is true that like many other companies they suffer from a variety of set backs after the big buy out in (2008?). But because their kits are high quality I for one hope they get their act together and come back strong. I grab kits off of classifieds and Ebay - no shortage there for what I want. If and when they do surface again, expect higher prices (like everything now adays). Someone advised to call them for orders - I think that's very prudent as SIG told me several years ago this is best. Even their web sites are not revised yet. And they do at least answer the phone!

They have updates on factory developement if you want to follow them on facebook, BUT it still looks like management is SLOWWW.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:51 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All the diseases & wearing no masks or refusing vaccinations is destroying companies quickly.
Up to each of us to fight all the diseases.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:55 AM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclops2
All the diseases & wearing no masks or refusing vaccinations is destroying companies quickly.
What's destroying companies and our economy is the ridiculous government overreaction to the pandemic. Besides, masks simply don't work, vaccinations should not be called for with younger people.
The following 3 users liked this post by allanflowers:
acdii (10-31-2023), combatpigg (12-23-2022), tennessee_flash (09-06-2023)
Old 12-23-2022, 04:15 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What would you say if I told you that Fauci never took the vaccine...?

SIG contacted me recently to see if I still wanted them to ship an order of building supplies that I placed over a year ago.
Well hopefully this is a sign of life.
Old 12-23-2022, 04:35 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

At what cost? Being that I work for a defense contractor I was given the choice of get vaccinated or lose my job. I was given a 2 week deadline and was not able to schedule an appointment with my primary care doctor for a consult. I informed my HR manager that I was concerned about blood clotting and I already had experienced one aneurysm. I was simply told it was a federal mandate and there was nothing that could be done. Getting the vaccine was a huge mistake, six months after getting the second dose I suffered a stroke.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:19 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
At what cost? Being that I work for a defense contractor I was given the choice of get vaccinated or lose my job. I was given a 2 week deadline and was not able to schedule an appointment with my primary care doctor for a consult. I informed my HR manager that I was concerned about blood clotting and I already had experienced one aneurysm. I was simply told it was a federal mandate and there was nothing that could be done. Getting the vaccine was a huge mistake, six months after getting the second dose I suffered a stroke.
Shawn I am truly very sorry to hear that, and I wish you well with your recovery. I have been lucky in that I have survived three doses of the 'Rona vaccine with no ill effects. Yet.

My Doctor(s) were of course adamant that I get the shots because my prior medical issues woulda supposedly killed me if I got the 'Rona without having the vaccine.

I'm still here, so maybe they were right?
Old 12-23-2022, 05:46 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by init4fun
Shawn I am truly very sorry to hear that, and I wish you well with your recovery. I have been lucky in that I have survived three doses of the 'Rona vaccine with no ill effects. Yet.

My Doctor(s) were of course adamant that I get the shots because my prior medical issues woulda supposedly killed me if I got the 'Rona without having the vaccine.

I'm still here, so maybe they were right?

I agree that overall it was a positive thing. The forced vaccination without giving those with concerns time to consult with their doctors IMO was inexcusable. My wife is a cancer survivor and had concerns that she would have a higher risk should she get Covid. She got vaccinated several months before me without issues. We did eventually get Covid but the Omicron strain. Felt like a really bad case of the flu. As to my stroke recovery, it was a mild stroke with no loss of mobility but weakness on my right side. I also tired very quickly. As it applies to this forum, my PCP told me to do things I would be doing Prior to the stroke, not only physically but mentally as well. When I told her what my hobby was she agreed that it would be great help towards my recovery. I got back to flying 2 weeks after the stroke and I can tell you it was a bit difficult at first. I started with my sailplane, then to my pattern airplane. After flying for a couple weeks I started working with my heli. Two months post stroke I entered a pattern contest, took 3rd place in masters. Reason why I’m sharing this with you is to relate another reason on why the hobby is important to me. I don’t think I would have bounced back quite as quickly without the hobby and of course my better half that drove me out to the flying field every other day for 2 months.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:53 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I absolutely agree that our hobby, with all of it's technical and physical aspects, is perfect "brain food" for aiding in a recovery such as yours and it's good that you have that to keep your mind active. Kudos to your Wife for being there for you, not every spouse holds true to the "till death do you part" thing when the going gets rough, you got a good one there
Old 12-23-2022, 06:15 PM
speedracerntrixie

Thanks, she is certainly one in a million. She has always supported me with the hobby and frequently accompanies me to the flying field.

Old 12-25-2022, 09:58 AM
sudstad

Guys.. I understand your frustrations. But.... please remember where our hobby has gone.

We've lost many of the BIG vendors and factories for various reasons.

Bashing a company that is struggling... for whatever reason... only contributes to the problem.

Please.. cut them a little slack. We don't want to lose another one.

Merry Christmas to all!
Ode Guy
Old 12-25-2022, 03:42 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Hard to dislike any older SIG kit if it begins with K. Kommander. Kavalier. Komet. Kobra. I sold all of my SIG kits on Ebay and the bidding was as surprising as those Sanding bars that go for $100 ea. I used the money to buy Dave Platt's whole RC hangar instead. I sure can't build like he can. Silk and Klass Kote. AMA 975 painted on the wings. Best part of the transaction was gaining a regular breakfast buddy who has a great sense of humor.
Don't be discouraged, you'd be surprised to Google dozens of other small kit manufacturers literally working out of their garage, who have been putting out laser kits and provide sufficient choices, without inventory and customer service issues. Laser works, kitcutters, retrorc, stevensaero, BMJR, manzano laser, hangar one kits, Laser cut USA to name a few. Google works. SIG doesn't work. RCU photos don't either. Speaking of, how long do you think this forum will still have its lights on? Ever visit the AMA section of this forum? The resident Futaba tech support page isn't doing Futaba any favors either. It's OK to talk. Hardly anyone is listening, and those who are, don't care.
SIG's problems are ongoing now for more than a year. Imaginary inventory, collecting payments people had to chase down to get back, sounds like a bad business practice to me. You can't give more slack than that. What's killing SIG isn't saying truthful things that only a couple of dozen people will read. Rather it's a poorly managed owner who can't keep it together. Other kit manufacturers have inventory and competitive prices. Consider also a new generation of "hobbyist" flies with very little preparation, understanding, or dedication. The PNP foam guys who don't own an Xacto knife or wax paper, who think RC Saylors,
on youtube is an informative RC channel. Their audience are not kit modelers. That's the mainstream RC hobby these days, is it not?
Most scratch / plan / kit modelers simply don't fly much anymore, they just think they will while they hoard hundreds of kits, radios, engines, and pack it away for tomorrow. A thread on RCGroups discusses building or selling old SIG kits like the Komet. They are fortunate enough to have one of those. Best flying SIG kits begin with "K".

Last edited by J330; 12-26-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:29 AM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Talked to a lady at Sig the other day, she said that they had the materials in (dope) and were going through the backorders. What that means ,I don't know. We will see. Orders been in since April.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.