Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Storing gas engines during off-season?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Storing gas engines during off-season?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 08:11 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your DLE55 may have a knock off Walbro carb, it was pretty common for people to change to a genuine Walbro and have all their problems go away. No way to tell the difference by sight that I know of.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:55 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Even though Walbro have for several years now been using gaskets and diaphragms that are ethanol compatible in their carbs are repair kits, many of us here where all our pump gas is ethanol blended have adopted the practice of adding one of the available ethanol stabilizer like Star Tron to our fuel mix.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:57 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Been running gas only (no glow) for quite a while now. I can share with a fair degree of certainty that any decent 2 stroke oil has a gas stabilizer built into it. This makes running the carb dry a complete waste of time - unless the engine might be going into storage for SEVERAL years!

The reason WD 40 is working above is that it's wetting the carb valves which depend on moisture to seal - not that it's a bad idea if you are faced with a dry carb (as in a new one) or a carb that's been run dry. In fact, many experienced gas users will tell you NOT to run the carbs dry to avoid having to deal with a set of dry internal carb valves (they do not pump well, if at all, when dry!). The preservative that's built into decent oil will let you store an engine unused for 2-3 years with no trouble! I've had them go much longer. -Al
Old 06-06-2020, 10:57 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

On advice I got several years ago from my friend and engine guru Ralph Cunningham ( Antique ) I stopped running my engines dry and draining my tank after flying as the unburnt fuel helps to keep the tank plumbing and carb diaphragms flexible. My two preferred oils of choice, Red Line and Stihl both have gasoline stabilizers inbuilt, so my adding an ethanol stabilizer to my fuel mix is really just for my peace of mind.
The following users liked this post:
ahicks (06-06-2020)