Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

top flite p-51 giant scale build

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

top flite p-51 giant scale build

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:30 PM
dragonfly24_24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: top flite p-51 giant scale build

ok people i have gotten a little ferther.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19996.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	517072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69858.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	517073  
Old 09-01-2006, 12:33 PM
dragonfly24_24

more pics

Name:	Pm34875.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	517080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33996.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	517081  
Old 09-01-2006, 03:12 PM
FLY200

I hope to have more time to read this thread this weekend. I tried to sneak in to computer room as my wife is screaming to leave for vacation. No internet where we are going.....Aghhhhhh!!!! I saw a post about custom exhaust and had to try and catch a glimpse of this thread.

My problem:

Top Flite Giant P-51 ARF version. I bought a 3w75i motor....HUGE! Got the inverted Pitts muffler...even HUGER...new word. No way the muffler will fit. Engine has to move forward about 10" to make it work. Don't think so. I will try and post some pics later, but for the most part.....this is my most difficult build yet and closer to kit than ARF I think. At least for me.

Can't wait to read the thread in it's entirety and thanks to the individual who posted the link to custom exhaust.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:17 PM
dragonfly24_24

ok i have put the top stringers in. looks good to me.fly200 i hope you get some good info from this post. this is the first one i have done. i plan on building another plane to be determind. i have a small fun fly called a twist and after i finish this build i will have something for scale. i have a trainer and something i dont really know what is. but i think the next build i do is going to be pure speed i was thinking of getting the xl patriot from tower hobbies. but we will see how this goes.thats it for now see yall later.

Name:	Us53756.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	517751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56377.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	517752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57029.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	517753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42422.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	517754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96283.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	517755  
Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 AM
FLY200

already learning a lot on this thread! Finally back from vacation and can get back to this kind of fun!!!!! I will try and get pics posted of the progress and soon will hope to have pics of my 3w75 motor installed. Got three props in last week. Will keep you posted.

To above post.....I just bought a demon S wing. 180mph!!!!!! It should cure my speed fix and will be a nice change flying with my P-51 at the field. Fun having two completely different flying airplanes on the same day!

Old 09-05-2006, 04:15 PM
dragonfly24_24

i am glad that you are interested in my thread. hope you get a lot more out of this! but i think i have made my diss. on next plane and its going to be the patriot XL there is people that have clocked it at over 200 mph!!!!!!!!!! i am going to get a webra .91 speed for it. should scream across the sky.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:51 PM
viper1

ORIGINAL: FLY200

My problem:

Top Flite Giant P-51 ARF version. I bought a 3w75i motor....HUGE! Got the inverted Pitts muffler...even HUGER...new word. No way the muffler will fit. Engine has to move forward about 10" to make it work. Don't think so. I will try and post some pics later, but for the most part.....this is my most difficult build yet and closer to kit than ARF I think. At least for me.

Are you sure you want to use that motor?....
I'm building a Ziroli stang, [link=http://people.aapt.net.au/gjmustang]see website [/link] (bit bigger than the Top Flite) and got same motor.
Not until after I bought the engine "...I have been told..." that the 60 would have been enough for it, I quote: "with the 60 you just point it where you want to go, and it will pull it"

too late now, I can always throttle back
Old 09-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

A friend of mine flys a P-51 powered by a Moki 1.80 and it SCREAMS. I bought a Moki 2.10 so mine would go a little faster. I'm also working on a Yellow Aircraft P-40 and YA suggested a G-62 (which I bought) although it is 9 pounds heavier than my Top Flite. Hope this helps a little.

David
Old 09-06-2006, 03:06 PM
dragonfly24_24

i app. your conserns but i have already bought the moter and its not the smallest moter in the range i have talked to scott the person that converts the engine i got he said that he has talked to people that have put that engine in that plane. and it fly's very well i may not get unlimited vertical but its not an areobatic plane it should fly very well.also i was looking for an engine that i did not half to mutalate the cowling. i am however going to change prop and go with i think maybe a bolly carbon fiber 20x10 should fly very well. i have talked to another guy that has same engine and plane combo says his does over 120 mph. will see i am getting ready to move to florida so i wont be getting airbourn anytime soon. but my earler estamint of december looks right on the money maybe even october.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:32 PM
FLY200

Well, like you said. I already bought the motor. Mounted it up today!!!!! The 3w75ius is the biggest possible motor to ever grace the Top Flite P-51. This should allow me to reinforce without concern for weight. Also, I would like to fly a 4 blade prop after break-in which is another need for my bigger motor. I just bought two break in wood props and a new tri-blade carbon fiber. I might sell my tri-blade to someone who wants it.

Break in: I am getting answers all over the board. My manual says clearly to break it in on an engine stand being exremely careful not to over heat. My LHS and even 3w supplier says to break it in up in the air???

3w vendor said to use 6 bottles of the lawn boy oil for break in.

LHS says use the oil I am going to use right from the start at the higher ratio so there is no increased on site maintenance????

I think it will really move strong with authority. After your posts, I am not as concerned with weight which will allow me to beef up the interior more!

Hope to maiden in two weeks!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:23 PM
dragonfly24_24

hope your maden goes good i tried to start my engine today and was unsucsessfull i called the manuf. and he says they are very very hard to start by hand and recomended a starter. as far as break in goes you can do it on a stand or in the plane it does not matter all you do is add more oil of corse peak the moter out at top rpm then back off about 300 run that way for about six flights then go ahead and peak out.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:20 AM
FLY200

thank dragonfly for breakin tips. I have never broke a gas engine in before. Have bought my planes used in the past. Sorry you are having trouble starting yours. Let us know if the starter got you running today.

quick question: Does anyone use a servo for the choke?

PS: I had dinner at dragonfly restaurant in Dallas last night. Ha!!!!!!! Pretty good place at the Za Za hotel. FANCY!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

FLY200,

Boy you can really open a can of worms with these questions about break in and which/how much oil to run...

I have a couple of thoughts for you based on my research and to some extent, experience;

1. Follow the manufacturers recommendations printed in the manual you got with the engine, regardless of LHS or vendor recommendations. Should you have a problem with the engine requiring warranty work, the manufacturer will have grounds for denying your claim if their instructions were not followed. 3W has had some differences in the recommendations owing to experience with the rings seating, I'm not positive about this but IIRC they used to say use dino oil for break in, then they said use synthetic for break in, and now I think they are back to dino oil.

2. I think the recommendation to use a test stand is to prevent folks from running the engine on the ground while cowled up on a model, I can't see any difference between a test stand and an un-cowled model as far as cooling is concerned. A lot of guys on the gas engine and Giant Scale forums, as well as a number of the engine manufacturers recommend break in while flying with the engine running a bit rich and no substantial high power running for some period of time, i.e. ZDZ recommends no full throttle applications except for uplines for the first gallon of fuel, and running a slightly smaller prop to decrease engine load and it's accompanying heat. So basically you run the engine on the ground enough to set the needles and go fly with some good throttle management for the first little while.

3. What ever oil you choose to run, mix it at the recommended ratios, i.e. an oil listed for a 32 to 1 ratio should not be mixed at 50 to 1. Select an oil that can be mixed at the engine manufacturers recommended ratio for break in.

4. Heat is a real killer and it won't take but a matter of seconds at high power settings while stationary on the ground to overheat the engine, make sure you've got a decent infra red temp gauge to check cylinder head temps on the engine. Always check it immediately upon shut down as the engine will get warmer right after shut down, and always take it at the same place on the cylinder head.

Hope some of this helps you figure out how you're going to do your setup/break in stuff...[8D]
Old 09-08-2006, 08:11 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: scalebirdman

The G62 is a tight fit, but with a custom muffler, you don't have to hack the cowl to pieces.

Scalebirdman,

Is it the angle of your photo, or did you modify your mustangs wing to the correct planform for the B/C variants?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:09 PM
FLY200

Zeeb,

That helps alot. I learned many good tips and it was nice to hear again the important things. You make this forum a great place for guys like me. I will report back after I have done some break in to let you know how it goes.

As for the motor fitting, I found an aluminium welder who cut my inverted pitts muffler and for $60 got the exhaust to fit better. Looks factory stock!

My 3w75ius motor needs 2" for the carb to stick out the side. I haven't got the cowl on yet, but it should be okay for me......not so serious about scale.....but as close as possible.

I just hope this bird holds together in the air with the higher speeds.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:16 PM
dragonfly24_24

thats good fly200. the only thing that is going to stick out of my cowl is the velosite stack and the exuast stacks other than that nothing else should.

p-51b i did not very from the planes what mod are you talking about. i did decide because of cost that i am not goiung to get the b conversion.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:40 PM
FLY200

Estimated weight for my plane is expected to be about 20lbs dry. This is lighter than I thought with my larger motor 3w75ius? What are you planes weighing....anyone?
Old 09-11-2006, 03:06 AM
turbinelover

Tomcat 104,

How are you? I just started my new Ziroli P-51. In three day's I cut all the parts and framed up the fuse, now comes the tail and the wing. Work will start slowing down as I started my chemo
again and it is hard to get out to the shop when im sick. I will post pic's if you want
I know this is a Top Flite P-51 build but it is still a stang.

Regards,
Dan
Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 AM
dragonfly24_24

tomcat fill free to post pics. did your instructions tell you to start the fuse first. and is this a kit or an arf.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:17 AM
turbinelover

dragonfly24_24,

Yep, build fuse first, and it is scratch built not a kit or an ARF. It is the 98" Ziroli P-51
I was going to build the Top flite giant P-51 but I like to build from plans and Top Flite
is not a scale plane it is stand off, but it is a nice kit. All Ziroli plane's are scale

Regards,
Dan

Name:	Wu60204.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	522474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79650.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	522475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18608.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	522476  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Dragonfly 24_24,

I'll post some pics as soon as I can. The instructions called for building the fuselage first. I didn't follow the instructions and built the wings first, they fit in the dining room! It's definetly not a scale plane (and not an ARF either) but it is a Mustang!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:12 PM
dragonfly24_24

turbinelover,
that thing builds totaly different than mine it use's stringers in th fuse were mine use's big blocks of wood. your's must be a lot lighter. I still have a lot of shapeing to do if it would have use the same method's to build as yours i think it would be a lot better.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:37 PM
turbinelover

dragonfly24_24,

Your P-51 build faster, I love Top Flite kits and the giant P-51 will be my next build if my cancer lets me

Regards,
Dan
Old 09-17-2006, 06:13 PM
doublebs

hi fellas! i too am building the tf giant p-51.not quite as far along as you d but close. i am just putting the sides on the rad. i was originally going to put a da 50 in this plane but i am now leaning towards a g62. any thoughts?
thanks , doublebes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:41 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is in responce to FLY200, sorry about no responce to your question about the weight of the TF Mustang. I read your thread the day you posted, and I thought there would be lots of responces, so I went out and weighted mine, with a Brison 3.2 in the nose, a DB mustang spinner, robart wheels and tires, it weighs 20.6 lbs. dry. I weighed it on my digital scales for weighing Freon, so I think it's pretty close. BTW, any engine bigger than a 3.2 is way over kill, my plane is a rocket.

Just my .02

Dale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.