Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

top flite p-51 giant scale build

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

top flite p-51 giant scale build

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:53 PM
dragonfly24_24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: top flite p-51 giant scale build

the g-62 should fly it very very well might be a little over kill though. and will not fit in the cowl all that good. my 46cc from brillille fits in it with very little room left over the velosity stack will stick out and the exaust stacks will stick out but nothing else is going to. the only other holes i need to make is the scale holes, and cooling holes. i have seen pics with the g-62 in it and the engine it self sticks out of the cowl.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:10 PM
doublebs

thanks D i think that i will go for the da 50.LOTS more $$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!! oh well it's the least of my probs now. i put the dowels in the wing and mounted it in the fuse.only to discover with the string and tape that i'm out a mile from tail to tip side to side.put fuse on plans-perfect. put wing over wing plan-perfect. string shows me out at least 1/2"????to moving the wing over that far is inconceivable to me.i don't know how this happened but i need to come up with a fix.i'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:42 PM
dragonfly24_24

did you check your tail's alingment it may not be the wing it might be the tail mine came out perfect.put a t-pin at the firewall and check to tips of tail.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:23 PM
FLY200

GreaTOne 65....thanks for the response. I thought more would of post also about their weight. Perhaps most on this thread are still building and it's to soon to tell. Your 20lbs sounds about right and is impressive. Mine with everything installed....dry weight.....came in at 20.6lbs.

I know my 3W75 is overpowered. I want a fast flier and we built it to do so. It should be a screamer. I always prefer more power than less power. Hope to maiden Tuesay or Wednesday 25th/26th. Fly200
Old 09-23-2006, 08:59 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FLY200, you will not be disappointed, if your looking for speed with the Mustang! She was built for speed originally in the full scale aircraft, this model is no different, the engine you've picked will certainly make a mover out of her! Don't sweat flying this plane! She is a *****-cat! You won't need the flaps to land it, but they really are effective, fact is the first time I put mine down the plane went straight up! In order to use them I put in 15 degrees of down elevator with the flaps down, but that is to much, before I fly it again I'm going to 10 degrees to see if that is better.

Good luck, with your maiden flight, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!LOL!!

Dale
Old 09-24-2006, 02:54 PM
FLY200

Thanks Dale!!!! Good tip on the flaps. I will let you know. Wish me luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 04:37 PM
doublebs

hey D, this morning i had string lines everywhere.it looked as if i was fitting up to knitt a sweater for this bird.lol.well here it is.the tail section of the fuse is out 1/4"right at the tail.when i was building it i didn't like the way we have to bend the sides around the rear formers f-10 & 11.i think it leaves too much room for error[ as i found out ] since clearly the plans are showing us the edge of the fuse on the bottom and on the table after we curl around the formers these lines don't represent the "top".does that make sense? anyway i am going to build a jig to hold the front of the fuse sides square and move the tail over.don't know how this will work. i will wet the rear and jig it up to where it should be and let it dry.i don't know how effective this will be as i am worried that once removed from the jig it will go back to where it was.i have freed up one side of f-11[what a pain!!] and will re-glue it before i remove from the jig.also i think i will cut some ply with the new angle of fuse sides and glue it in horizontal to fuse like as truss. if i can figure out how to post pics here i will, last night someone was saying to hit the 'upload' button but i don't see one..should be interesting
...later, Berrick.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:43 PM
doublebs

ORIGINAL: doublebs

hey D, this morning i had string lines everywhere.it looked as if i was fitting up to knitt a sweater for this bird.lol.well here it is.the tail section of the fuse is out 1/4"right at the tail.when i was building it i didn't like the way we have to bend the sides around the rear formers f-10 & 11.i think it leaves too much room for error[ as i found out ] since clearly the plans are showing us the edge of the fuse on the bottom and on the table after we curl around the formers these lines don't represent the "top".does that make sense? anyway i am going to build a jig to hold the front of the fuse sides square and move the tail over.don't know how this will work. i will wet the rear and jig it up to where it should be and let it dry.i don't know how effective this will be as i am worried that once removed from the jig it will go back to where it was.i have freed up one side of f-11[what a pain!!] and will re-glue it before i remove from the jig.also i think i will cut some ply with the new angle of fuse sides and glue it in horizontal to fuse like as truss. if i can figure out how to post pics here i will, last night someone was saying to hit the 'upload' button but i don't see one..should be interesting
...later, Berrick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44809.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	529640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25786.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	529641  
Old 09-24-2006, 04:44 PM
doublebs

ok.i figuired out the pic thing.
berrick
Old 09-24-2006, 09:46 PM
doublebs

ok dragon , here are some pics with the fusr in the jig i made. i soaked down the rear of the fuse and then clamped it.what do you guys think? will this work?

Name:	Qo39543.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	529840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13030.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	529841  
Old 09-24-2006, 09:55 PM
doublebs

more the same .

Name:	Lj23086.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	529844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88934.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	529845  
Old 09-25-2006, 09:00 PM
doublebs

great news!! today before i went to work i soaked down the rear of the fuse again and left it for the day. when i came home and with some skepticism i carefully removed the rear jig keeping down pressure on it as to not have it move. once the screws were removed i let her go.......... PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!! some deflection , maybe 1 mm. i then re-installed the balsa and pin and took some preliminary measurements and SWEEEEET!!!! thank god. maybe tonight i'll get some sleep.lol. i didn't get much last night and have been thinking of it ALL DAY. anyways now i can continue to assemble the horizontal and vertical stabs, which is good .i'm trying to keep on track for this build i would rather not have to heat my shop all winter like i did last year during my super chipmunk build.
Berrick
oh ya,other good news.i spoke with bill down in Arizona at desert aircraft and ordered 3" standoffs,drill jig, and a couple of menz 22 x 10 props.he seemed like a great guy and i look forward to dealing with them again. tonight i will place an order with Great Hobbies and get the da 50r , large air kit[robart], fuel tank and dot,and a whole pile of other goodies.then tomorrow i will call aerotech and get those beauty wheels and 75 gal. drop tanks. holly master-card meltdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.
later,b
Old 09-25-2006, 09:10 PM
dragonfly24_24

glad everything is going good. tail looks good. i am on the road rigt now on the move to florida i packed my mustang the best i know how hope it dont get damedge.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:05 AM
doublebs

moving to florida durring hurricane season?r u nuts? i hope you packed your bird in pontoons and a life jacket!talk to you soon
berrick
Old 10-01-2006, 02:51 PM
dragonfly24_24

ok i am in orlando. we put everything in a storage unit and are now looking for a home. the mustang made the trip without any dings or dents or crackes or anything else (SHREWWWW).[sm=what_smile.gif]but anyway we will be moving to a house in mabe a week and then ill start building on my mustang again. i went to check a field out today. i dont think i am going to fly at this one though it's a grass runway and you have to have a key to get in, and i dont think i want to fly off of grass i got spoiled with payvment. ill talk to yall later.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:23 PM
merit1

Peppie,

Nog aan het vliegen ????

Denk nog vaak aan je ,het is allemaal een beetje klote gelopen.

Hoop iets te horen

[email protected]
Old 10-01-2006, 04:33 PM
doublebs

i hear ya dragon!i too fly off of pavement and couldn't imagine going back to grass.spoiled for sure!!got a note from post office, it looks like my da came in!! it's sunday now but can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!![my first gasser] looks like the tail section of my fuse crept back a little. got the wing as close as 1/4" side to side. i glued the horizontal stab today and came up with a happy[i hope] medium between center of fuse to tips and wing tip to wing tip.[1/8 "] oh well i don't think these little differences will affect a plane this size.what do you think d? never happened to me before . i hope she flies ok.
later,berrick.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:38 PM
doublebs

ORIGINAL: merit1

Peppie,

Nog aan het vliegen ????

Hoop iets te horen

[email protected]
hey merit you speak english?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:01 PM
dragonfly24_24

i think thats german if i am not mistaken, which i dont speek!

doublebs, i don't know how much it will effect it!! but i do know that it will. how much is the question. i hope it does fly good thou.the da 50 should not have any probleme pulling it around. i did find the hobby shop yesterday (BOB'S HOBBY CENTER at STEVE'S HANGER) www.bobshobbycenter.com looks like a good place they have a lot of planes hanging from the celling. lots of gassers!!!! oh well ill chat at you later.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:20 PM
dragonfly24_24

ok doublebs

i went and found an on line translator and this is what it tralated to!!

Peppie,

Nog aan het vliegen ????

Hoop iets te horen

(Peppie,

Flying yet????

Yet on often you, it think has been walked all a little bit b a s tard.

Hope something to hear)
Old 10-01-2006, 09:43 PM
The Internet Killer

Is it me or did something go missing in the translation ???
Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 AM
doublebs

lol ***??? some goodies showed up today!!!! and i mean GOODIES!!!!!

Name:	Sq46226.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	534978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51220.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	534979  
Old 10-04-2006, 12:27 PM
dragonfly24_24

everything looks good.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:19 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Nice pile of goodies indeed!! The only thing that could possibly be added to the pile would be a Keleo scale exhaust for the DA-50!! I ordered mine last week and figure 4 to 6 weeks delivery. Works fine for me since my P51 is going to be my winter project so I wasn't planning to start until early November. All the P51's around here are the "D" model so I decided to do mine as a "B".

Fiberclassics will be at the IMAA in Muskogee a week from Saturday so I will pick up their cowl and scoop. I noticed they have both the full cowl and the lower half only. Probably go with the full one.

Good luck with yours!!! We have big boxes full of wood!!

Dan
Old 10-05-2006, 05:46 AM
dragonfly24_24

thats true dan we all have big box's of wood, mine is dwindeling a little thou.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.