Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Cen Matrix TR Arena

Old 01-16-2007, 05:29 PM
phoenix22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cen Matrix Tr Arena

hey RGX can you give us a pic of the Tx? and does it use a reciever battery pack for steering?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Shark413

Does anyone know if the pull start OWB is a standard 6mm 12mm x 12mm? I would like to use an all metal OWB.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:55 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try measuring it or comparing it at your LHS.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 AM
DahlELama

Back to the 17mm Hub/Hex discussion....

This pic is of my TR with the Matrix Buggy hubs. This is the rear and what it is showing is 7shims and it still has a little slop.

The fronts are just right with 3 shims.

I dont think any of the 17mm hexes will make up the kind of backlash that exists in the rear. I'm not a big fan of using this many shims. From what I had read much earlier on the CEN forum, using the buggy axles in the rear would tighten this up right. The part is MX093. Looks like about $7 clams each at A-Main. I'm fine with the amount of shims on the front. Thats a good thing as the front CV/Axle setup for the buggy is $25 each. Shims don't sound so bad at that price.

And then there is a part of me that just wants to find a couple sets of the RTR wheels (MX321) and use the 23mm hexes. Before I glue up these new Crime Fighters and Badlands I better make a descision If I go the 23mm route I'll have 4 sets of ST-R wheels (trimmed) and 1 set of MBX5T (new) to ditch....

Old 01-17-2007, 04:28 AM
Mystikal8885

Blade do you have the new shock conversion kits that Cen just released? Is there a benefit using them?
I also need the blue blutch shoes or if u can recommend another brand that's better that would be great.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:13 AM
RGX Blade

the Tx sure i'll try and get one up here soon...i have a pic someplace? so i'll get it here if not i'll take a quick snap of one.....

hey Lama
now that are some cool looking tires !!! maybe not for racing in some situations but it looks cool!!!
and that is alot of shims on the rear...?????
the tires....??? for glueing up...??? well here's my 2 cents i hope some of this can help...
and for everyone......

to "My Knowledge" after the mod for the 17mm hex hubs...you'll have about 98% more Access to rims and tires than if using the 23mm....
"Personaly" i do not use the 23mm hubs i use the more racer friendly 17mm....
as also i have 5 sets already mounted up of both crime fighter and holeshot tires for mine...
and another 2 sets in the HPI Nubz...and a set of GRP's
just doesnt make sence to me personaly to spend another
5 to 600.00 on extra tires and rims??? when 99% of the market is geard for 17mm...???
for example....if say i wanted to just run a set of HPI Nubz (excelent tires by the way)
or GRP's killer tires too for racing !!
there "Already Mounted up" so i just buy'em and put them on....and race whoooo yea..!!!!
with the 23mm...first i have to look around to see if "Anyone even Carries them"??
then if they do most of the time there in the 40 series rims??? which most of the trucks such as the Revo's and Savage's will sometimes still use....pretty rare to see these even still?? there supper wide and can only use "One Style Of Tire"
and if they "Do Have" the rims in the 23mm i am 99% of the time out of luck on matching rims?? the hobby shops either have a pair of white? or a pair of yellow?
but in the 11 shops here localy seems no one has a full set??? when i do order some they usually take about 3 weeks??? on "Average" around here anyways???
and why...??? sometimes, do they take long? Well many shops do not get a big demand for those rims...so they do not stock them often if at all...so they wait for at leat 3 orders as no shop wants to buy 8 full sets of 23mm rims only to have them sit for months....????
and 17mm you can get from HPI,Jammin,RGX,TTR,GRP just to name a few...instead of being "Forced" to buy Proline rims...???? which to my "Knowledge" but do let me know as i am not totaly sure but "Proline" is the Only one making 23mm rims???
so some may be asking?
"But Blade Aren't you a CEN Driver?, why dont you use the CEN rims?"
well a few reasons....i am glad everyone asked....ok class take notes now...
first....the CEN rims are ok, but personaly "Not Fo Me" i like yellow??
they do not make yellow? and second you can "Only use our Tire" which is ok? but most of the tracks here in Southern California some of us will use "Truggy Holeshots" and you cant use hole shots without cutting off the Bead..and if your not careful you'll ruin the tire.... !!!!
any tire really...??? it is a "Specialized" rim,
3'rdly i like dish rims....just me i guess??
CEN at this time doesn't make dish rims? to me the spoke rims just look RTR'ish...???
there fine just not for me.....[8D] the buggies there ok....
but on the trucks just kinda look different to me...
but there cool many do like spoked rims and in many case i think they look great, i just preffer dish that all....
but if one had to "Weigh The Differences" going 17mm hex hubs in the L-O-N-G ,LONG LONG run you'll be better off and less money spent.....
i hope this can help everyone...

BUT if you have never had or HAVE tires mounted in anything or just starting out with only 23mm rims and tires then it is fine....for many that as well as myself that have extra sets of rims and tires, it's a waste of some hard earned cash....
if one doesn't mind switching back and forth? it probally will not present a problem?...
if only going to use 23mm hubs to my "Knowledge" i could be mistaken...but "Proline" is the only one to make the 23mm rims and there not supper readily available everywhere.....
because there is not a big demand for those rims....
that alone along with no Body included is a turn off for many????
I am hopping to change that am working with a Machinist to help make More 17mm hubs "Made" for the truck...along with a body included something we'll Include "BUT Only if purchased Through RGX"....and of corse we already "Now" make a 17mm rim...
we have enough for 5 kits now...that include this option so you'll have an Option...
already "Included"
hope this info can help.....
Old 01-17-2007, 05:30 AM
RGX Blade

the shoes....????
none come to mind....????
i use the ones we make....there "Stainless Steel"....
but best i can recommend if CEN is out of stock?
is the Mugen shoes there pretty close to the CEN shoes...
but for the money i feel the CEN shoes are a little better...there new shoes are WAYYYYY better...i am Using the SS ones to see how long they go before they wear????
so far about 54 hours....on them...yup 54 HOURS.....not race nights...and so far no "Wear"
we made Titaium ones they went in about a tank....so were trying SS ones....
kinda odd now to go through "Springs" and Bells" before the shoes wear out???

but i have tried Mugen shoes(before CEN came out with the new clutch shoes) with a 1.0 spring with good results....1.1 if you gotta have maxed out punch...but you'll get more tire "Spin" if you don't have the "Killer Trigger Finger"
Old 01-17-2007, 08:46 AM
supertib

how much does the Matrix arena TR weigh ?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:35 AM
DahlELama

Blade - Thanks! That is exactly the discussion I wanted to start by posting that. If you build the right hexes that make up the slop... the people will come brotha.

I will be sticking to the 17mm hubs as I agree.. there are many more readily available options for the wheels and tires. I did not know that the RTR wheel was a special size. That sucks. Anyone want a brand new set? NOTE: Dont drink and eBay.

Regarding those Badland moto style tires..... our local track is club owned/maintained and they tend to water it down too much in my opinon. Puddles in the corners and such. When that happens, the Bowties, Crime Fighters etc tend to pack up and 'skate'. The plus side is that we have really good dirt here in I-dee-ho (some good clay in it) and the traction when it dries out a bit is really good. So.... I watched one guy dominate the Truggy and Buggy classes at a two day event here last year running those Badlands on both of his rigs. He's a good driver and all for sure... but for the conditions his traction was off the hook. It was the first time he had run them and he thought they were great (obviously he won). So... I got a full set for $50 shipped so I think I'll give them a try.

One thing... offset... if you go to the Maximizer site they are proclaiming that the CEN truggy requires an offset rim. Just to sell theirs? I dunno.... but all the pics I have seen of Smolniks rig, Hickerson etc they are all running what looks like the 1/2" offset wheel. I was thinking of trying a setup where I use those Mugen loooong hubs to get the offset. Thoughts?

e.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Shark413

How many of you guys are adding a throttle return spring? I noticed the standard Arena TR doesn't come with one. I added one the day I bought my TR. I also added a receiver switch that included a battery charger jack. I know a lot of racer types hook the battery right up to the receiver so they don't have to worry about switch malfunctions. But I like the convenience of the switch/charging jack.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Mystikal8885

I'll be getting my Arena Saturday so i'll take some pics and then start to work on it to make it better. I'm planning on putting 6.0v receiver pack and switch if the case has a cut out for it. Have you guys seen the new shock conversions that Cen released recently which eliminates the shock bladder for a much smoother suspension and improves handling in bumpy track situations.
Concerning the rims, Proline makes Maxx size 23mm rims which use there maxx size crimefighter and bowtie tires. It may be slightly taller but for those who do not what to do the 17mm hex mod it would be the best way to go.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:16 AM
DahlELama

The RTR doesnt have an ON / OFF switch?
Old 01-18-2007, 04:41 AM
RGX Blade

the shocks, yup we got some of those...there pretty cool...have some on my Nemesis...
were sitting on a grip if anyone wanted some...
and we got a killer deal from the Manufacture for some Truggies...limited time? so untill they say so not sure how many or how long? but for now 399.99 whoooo whooooooo.....so if you know anyone or someone maybe getting into a truggy let'em know...
everyone not waiting ya shoud have waited...i know my bad should have posted earlier?
but they Barley came in Saturday??? were closed Sunday? and had some family stuff we had to take care of Monday....but 5 went out Monday we have 5 left...and i think 3 more came in today? have to check the shipping? might have been a chopper frame..????
for everyone already bougt a truck i'll try and help on related parts as best i can...

Oh, also i been gettig a grip of mail on "Warranty" replacements etc....
ok, keep in mind if there NOT and Authorized Dealer.....and you have a Warranty problem?
they Can take care of it in sence BUT !!! they have to send it to a "Authorized" warranty dealer.....
Example ....for us if you bought a CEN product from us...we Can Probally Take care of it "WithOut" sending the entire item in........so say you got a Coupon from "X-Hobbies" for example...and saved 4 or 5 dollars on some shipping even 10.00 keep in mind if there is a Problem you "Could be out in some Major Shipping charges!!"
because if you need to send it in shipping could be as high as 25.00 one way...and they will charge to send back.....
so say you bough from "X-hobbies" and there was a problem?? unlikely but can happen...
and wanted warranty service? first contact the shop where you bought it...then find out if they can do Warranty service...if not you'll need to contact CEN and and you'll need to send directly to them...usually the entire item in some cases but ask first...if the shop you bought from was not an Authorized "Dealer/reseller" and just a "Reseller" you'll be paying for shipping both ways and sometimes even the part....!!!!
so keep tis in mind on some items....i hate to see people get burnt....i know we all wanna save some cash but "Sometimes" it comes out more.......
Anyways I hope this can help....if not it is some "Good To Know Info"......and I just Mention it as i been getting A GRIP of mail on it....and many sending me mail on service? but 99% of those did not buy from "Us" or a dealer so there out of Luck....????
so regardless if it is a toster!!! ask them!!! if they wont say or mention if they can or will, spend you money where it counts!!! Remember to always ASK...!!!!
Oh, another good dealer I recommend as well "Headrush Hobbies" tell'em RGX sent ya...they can help as well.....if HeadRush or Us do not have the parts...."NO One has It" and only have what is on there Shelves....we can get the parts sometimes in less than a day...
"Providing the Factory as well has the parts".......
Old 01-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Mystikal8885

Really?....what items have been going bad on the truggy that people need replacements?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:40 AM
supertib

does anyone have any idea how much this truck weighs ???
Old 01-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Shark413

Well the pull start one way bearing would be one item (mine gave out after 3 tanks of fuel) and CEN has no replacements. Not a biggie since I use a Bump start, but the fact that it went out so quickly and CEN was not able to replace it was a bummer. And a throttle return spring should be standard. Don't get me wrong, I love this truggy, handles like a dream and the rest of the car is very well built/designed.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Shark413

My CEN Arena weighted in at 9.8 lbs with no fuel. My Race REVO weights 9.6 lbs, my Brushless REVO weights 10.5 lbs (with batteries, 9.8 w/o) and I gave the Kyosho US Sport to my bro so I don't know how heavy it is, but it felt pretty lite, probably in the 8.5 lbs range.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:11 PM
phoenix22

400 bucks? [X(] i need one. is it on your website?
Old 01-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Mystikal8885

Shark413 which starter box do you use? I'm going to try the Ofna Chrome top box.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:51 PM
annie_himself

Thats a great box.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:51 PM
HeadRush ROB.21
Banned

you guys can get the blue clutch shoes and the shock conversion and all that good stuff at, headrushhobbies...websit witch is headrushhobbies.com
Old 01-19-2007, 04:32 AM
Shark413

Mystikal8885, I am using the Ofna model 253. It is the 1/8 chrome top with one large 12volt motor. It uses a 12v gel cell and has the front panel with charging jacks and a glow plug attachment. I also have a twin motor Ofna Model 248 but it didn't have the torque to turn over my new motor. The 12volt has no problem turning over the new (tight) motor. The Model 250/253 is also larger than the Model 248/249. My CEN Arena wouldn't quite fit on the Ofna 248/249 properly.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Mystikal8885

Thank you very much for the bit of info.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:37 AM
Shark413

Ok back in action.... I had some free time today so I decided to fix the pull start that CEN has no parts for. I noticed that the bolt pattern matched the Savage/Revo pull start and the shaft was 6mm, woohoo a match. I happened to have an extra Revo pull start and owb, but the Revo owb is a little deeper and needed a spacer. So machined a spacer on my mini mill, bored a hole and drilled 4 holes for the mounting screws. Took a few passes to get the spacing right, but eventually I got it bolted on and it works perfectly. While I was at it I machined a post and installed my Spektrun Telemetry rpm sensor. It sits behind the throttle servo and reads off the center diff. The Spektrum is very cool, and a helpful tool for monitoring rpm, MPH, temps, signal strength and receiver batt status. If I have time this weekend I will take some pictures and post them.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Shark413

Mystikal8885, here are some pictures of my starter box. The bottom picture shows the 12volt motor with a regular 540 motor next to it. See the difference in size of the 12v motor vs. the 540 motor. Even with two 540's the 12v has much more torque.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.