Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 09-26-2022, 04:41 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Monday's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft had its genesis in a manufacturers privately funded redesign of an earlier aircraft.

2. What was originally an intended modernization of the earlier design wound up as a completely new design.

3. The new design’s reduced drag and speed soon drew attention from the military.

4. In the end, the new design was a complete departure from the original design.

5. Although there was still a similar appearance between the two planes.

6. And two prototypes were soon ordered.

7. Eventually, production reached a couple of hundred.

8. The limited production was because our subject had a pretty short range and endurance.

9. It was in frontline service for less than a decade.

10. But its use as a trainer kept it in the inventory for several more years.

11. And its use as an aerobatic performer extended its service for a few more years.

12. Somewhere along the line, our subject became the first warbird in history to accomplish a rather ignominious feat.

13. Which resulted in the loss of the airframe.

14. Although I can’t be sure, this may be the first, and only, time in history this feat was accomplished.

15. After performing this new feat, the pilot crash landed his aircraft. He survived the experience.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:28 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Been thinking F11F/F11 for some time ,hoping some one else would get ,but.... BTW one of the nicest looking naval planes ever.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:06 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by stang151
Been thinking F11F/F11 for some time ,hoping some one else would get ,but.... BTW one of the nicest looking naval planes ever.
You nailed it, Stang; the F11F-1 it is. You are now up and can take it away. The F11F was a pretty hot plane for its day. Only 200 total were built; mainly because it was too short ranged to fulfill the missions the Navy needed it to perform. The use of spoilers, rather than ailerons, was an interesting feature. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft had its genesis in a manufacturers privately funded redesign of an earlier aircraft.

2. What was originally an intended modernization of the earlier design wound up as a completely new design.

3. The new design’s reduced drag and speed soon drew attention from the military.

4. In the end, the new design was a complete departure from the original design.

5. Although there was still a similar appearance between the two planes.

6. And two prototypes were soon ordered.

7. Eventually, production reached a couple of hundred.

8. The limited production was because our subject had a pretty short range and endurance.

9. It was in frontline service for less than a decade.

10. But its use as a trainer kept it in the inventory for several more years.

11. And its use as an aerobatic performer extended its service for a few more years.

12. Somewhere along the line, our subject became the first warbird in history to accomplish a rather ignominious feat.

13. Which resulted in the loss of the airframe.

14. Although I can’t be sure, this may be the first, and only, time in history this feat was accomplished.

15. After performing this new feat, the pilot crash landed his aircraft. He survived the experience.

16. Our subject had leading edge flaps that were full span.

17. As well as trailing edge flaps.

18. And it used spoilers in place of ailerons.

19. It was equipped with an all moving tailplane.

20. Our subject was to use a new license-built afterburning engine of foreign design.

21. The afterburning version of the engine wasn’t available when the first prototype first flew.

22. So, it flew with a non-afterburning version of the engine.

23. Nevertheless, it nearly went supersonic on its first flight.

24. The second prototype was equipped with the afterburning engine, and easily went supersonic.

25. Which was a rare feat at the time.

26. Obviously, this was considered to be a very “hot” aircraft.

27. Its wings could be folded for storage.

Answer: Grumman F11F-1

The Grumman F11F/F-11 Tiger is a supersonic, single-seat carrier-based United States Navy fighter aircraft in operation during the 1950s and 1960s. Originally designated the F11F Tiger in April 1955 under the pre-1962 Navy designation system, it was redesignated as F-11 Tiger under the 1962 United States Tri-Service aircraft designation system.

The F11F/F-11 was used by the Blue Angelsflight team from 1957–1969. Grumman Aircraft Corporation made 200 Tigers, with the last aircraft being delivered to the U.S. Navy on 23 January 1959.

Design and development

The F11F (F-11) Tiger origins can be traced back to a privately funded 1952 Grumman concept to modernize the F9F-6/7 Cougar by implementing the area rule and other advances. This Grumman company project was named G-98, and when it was concluded it was a complete design departure from the Cougar.

The design's potential for supersonic performance and reduced transonic drag stirred interest in the U.S. Navy. By 1953, redesigns led to a completely new aircraft bearing no more than a familial resemblance to the Cougar. The new wing had full-span leading edge slats and trailing edge flaps with roll control achieved using spoilers rather than traditional ailerons. For storage on aircraft carriers, the F-11 Tiger's wings manually folded downwards. Anticipating supersonic performance, the tailplane was all-moving. The aircraft was designed for the Wright J65turbojet, a license-built version of the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire.[1]

The U.S. Navy Bureau of Aeronautics was sufficiently impressed to order two prototypes, designated XF9F-8 even though the new fighter was clearly a new design. To add to the confusion, the prototypes were then redesignated XF9F-9 with the XF9F-8 designation going to another more straightforward Cougar derivative. Since the afterburning version of the J65 was not ready, the first prototype flew on 30 July 1954 with a non-afterburning engine. In spite of this, the aircraft nearly reached Mach 1 in its maiden flight. The second prototype, equipped with the afterburning engine, became the second supersonic U.S. Navy aircraft, the first being the Douglas F4D Skyray. In April 1955, the aircraft received the new designation F11F-1 (F-11A after adoption of the unified Tri-Service naming system in 1962). Carrier trials started on 4 April 1956 when an F11F-1 Tiger landed on and launched from USS Forrestal.[2]

The F-11 Tiger is noted for being the first jet aircraft to shoot itself down.[3] On 21 September 1956, during a test-firing of its 20 mm (0.79 in) cannons, pilot Tom Attridge fired two bursts midway through a shallow dive. As the trajectory of the cannon rounds decayed, they ultimately crossed paths with the Tiger as it continued its descent, disabling it and forcing Attridge to crash-land the aircraft; he survived.[4][5]

In addition to the F-11A (F11F-1) fighter, Grumman also proposed a more advanced version of the airframe known as the F11F-1F Super Tiger. This was the result of a 1955 study to fit the new General Electric J79 engine into the F11F-1 airframe.

Operational history

Seven U.S. Navy squadrons flew the F11F-1: VF-21 and VF-33 in the Atlantic Fleet and VA-156 (redesignated VF-111 in January 1959), VF-24 (redesignated VF-211 in March 1959), VF-51, VF-121, and VF-191 in the Pacific Fleet.[3]

In service, the Tiger operated from the carriers Intrepid, Lexington, Hancock, Bon Homme Richard, Shangri-La, Forrestal, Saratoga and Ranger. The F11F's career lasted only four years because its performance was inferior to the Vought F-8 Crusader and the J65 engine proved unreliable. Also, the range and endurance of the Tiger was found to be inadequate.[citation needed] Thus, the Navy cancelled all orders for the F11F-1P reconnaissance version and only 199 F11F-1 (F-11A) fighters were built.

The aircraft was withdrawn from carrier operations by 1961. It continued in service, however, in the Naval Air Training Command in south Texas at NAS Chase Field and NAS Kingsville, until the late 1960s. Students performed advanced jet training in the TF-9J Cougar, and upon completing that syllabus, were given a brief taste of supersonic capability with the F-11 before transitioning to fleet fighters.[6]

While the F-11's fighter career was short, the Blue Angels performed in the aircraft from 1957–1968, when the Tiger was replaced by the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II.[7]

Prior to the 1962 code unification, the fighter was known as the F11F; after unification, it was redesignated F-11.

In 1973, two former Blue Angels F-11As were taken from storage at Davis-Monthan AFB and modified by Grumman as testbeds to evaluate in-flight thrust control systems. BuNo 141853 was fitted with a Rohr Industries thrust reverser and BuNo 141824 was kept in standard configuration as a chase plane. Tests of the inflight thrust reversal were carried out by Grumman at Calverton beginning in March 1974 and continued at NATC Patuxent River, Maryland until 1975. Following the completion of these tests, both planes were returned to storage at Davis Monthan AFB. These were the last Tigers to fly.

General characteristics

·

· Crew: 1

·

· Length: 45 ft 10.5 in (13.983 m)

·

· Wingspan: 31 ft 7.5 in (9.639 m)

·

· Width: 27 ft 4 in (8.33 m) wing-tips folded

·

· Height: 13 ft 2.75 in (4.0323 m)

·

· Wing area: 250 sq ft (23 m2)

·

· Empty weight: 13,810 lb (6,264 kg)

·

· Gross weight: 21,035 lb (9,541 kg)

·

· Max takeoff weight: 23,459 lb (10,641 kg)

·

· Powerplant: 1 × Wright J65-W-18afterburning turbojet engine, 7,450 lbf (33.1 kN) thrust at 8,300 rpm, military power dry, 10,500 lbf (47 kN) with afterburner

Performance

·

· Maximum speed: 631 kn (726 mph, 1,169 km/h) / M1.1 at 35,000 ft (10,668 m)

654 kn (753 mph; 1,211 km/h) at sea level

·

· Cruise speed: 501 kn (577 mph, 928 km/h)

·

· Range: 1,110 nmi (1,280 mi, 2,060 km)

·

· Service ceiling: 49,000 ft (15,000 m)

·

· Rate of climb: 16,300 ft/min (83 m/s)

·

· Wing loading: 84 lb/sq ft (410 kg/m2)

·

· Thrust/weight: 0.5

Armament

·

· Guns: 4 × 20 mm (.79 in) Colt Mk 12 cannon, 125 rounds per gun

·

· Hardpoints: 4 with a capacity of –, with provisions to carry combinations of:

o

o Rockets: Aero 6A or Aero 7A "Rocket Package"

o

o Missiles:AIM-9 Sidewinder

o

o Other: 150 US gal (570 l) drop tank

Role

Fighter aircraft

Manufacturer

Grumman

First flight

30 July 1954

Introduction

Retired

1961 (Carrier)
1967 (Training)
1969 (Blue Angels)

Primary user

United States Navy

Produced

1954–1959

Number built

Variants

Grumman F11F-1F Super Tiger

Last edited by Ernie P.; 09-27-2022 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:19 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, time for me to make a few "corrections" on some of the clues, hope Ernie doesn't mind toooooooooo much.
  • FLAPS are only on the trailing edge of the wing, SLATS are on the leading edge and can be of two different designs
  • Grumman was the first(and I think only company) to use spoilers, called FLAPERONS, in their designs. In addition to the Tiger, the Intruder, Prowler, Aardvark and Tomcat all used them in their designs instead of ailerons due to the inherent inverse drag caused by ailerons
Old 09-27-2022, 10:06 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Okay, time for me to make a few "corrections" on some of the clues, hope Ernie doesn't mind toooooooooo much.
  • FLAPS are only on the trailing edge of the wing, SLATS are on the leading edge and can be of two different designs
  • Grumman was the first(and I think only company) to use spoilers, called FLAPERONS, in their designs. In addition to the Tiger, the Intruder, Prowler, Aardvark and Tomcat all used them in their designs instead of ailerons due to the inherent inverse drag caused by ailerons
HJ; don't ever hesitate to correct something I get wrong. I appreciate it, in fact. On the flaps and slats thing, I know better. For some reason, I just wrote it incorrectly. As to the correction of my clue 18, I only said the plane used spoilers in place of ailerons. How is that wrong? But I would like to know more about why they are only sometimes used. The "inherent inverse drag" would be a problem any time; so why are the flaperons used only on some aircraft, but not others? Oh, and the Boeing B-52 G and H models also use what they call "spoilerons". Thanks; Ernie P.

18. And it used spoilers in place of ailerons.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:03 AM
Hydro Junkie

I was only really correcting the flap/slat thing, the other was poor wording prior to that on my part.
The description that you posted actually was using an inaccurate layman's term of spoiler for the flaperons or, as Boeing called them, spoilerons. I was unaware of the spoilerons on the B-52 and am not familiar with how they actually work since I've never seen them in operation, unlike the planes I listed previously. A spoiler, while similar, is only used on aircraft as a speed-brake and a way to eliminate lift during a landing cycle. In fact, the spoiler usually is deployed by a switch on the main landing gear that reacts to the weight of the aircraft compressing the landing gear strut with the only control the pilots having is turning it on or off. The flaperon is only used to bank or roll the aircraft like was shown in the latest Top Gun movie with the CGI F-14. The flaperons were used in conjunction with the stabilators to control the aircraft's rolling during the dogfighting scene, something the F-11 couldn't do as it didn't have the computer system capable of operating both sets of control surfaces in that kind of coordinated manner.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:14 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple of minor points. Spoilers aren't flaperons; flaperons are basically ailerons which can both be lowered at the same time as well as operating in the usual way. Spoilers used for roll control are called spoilerons. And Grumman wasn't the first manufacturer to use spoilerons for roll control; the P-61 had them, though it also had small ailerons. The reason for that arrangement was to enable the use of small ailerons so the flaps could be longer and therefore more effective.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

You sure about that? When I would watch a Prowler, Intruder or Tomcat do a control test, prior to launch, the flaps didn't move. The spoilers would come up on one wing or the other, the horizontal stabilizers would rotate(the Prowler and Intruder only in the same direction while the Tomcat would move the same or opposite directions depending on whether the stick was moved fore and aft or sideways).
Old 09-27-2022, 04:57 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You sure about that? When I would watch a Prowler, Intruder or Tomcat do a control test, prior to launch, the flaps didn't move. The spoilers would come up on one wing or the other, the horizontal stabilizers would rotate(the Prowler and Intruder only in the same direction while the Tomcat would move the same or opposite directions depending on whether the stick was moved fore and aft or sideways).
What does that have to do with anything I said? Spoilerons and flaperons are different things. What parts move on particular planes doesn't change that.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:19 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Friends, please join me in requesting Stang151 to proceed with the next quiz. I know that I have been corrected on this forum and I was grateful for the help.

Youse guys are cool:
Old 10-03-2022, 12:38 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Friends, please join me in requesting Stang151 to proceed with the next quiz. I know that I have been corrected on this forum and I was grateful for the help.

Youse guys are cool:
Johnny; Stang151 has been asked to proceed with his question. I've been a bit distracted the past few days, so thanks for the reminder. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:25 AM
Ernie P.

Stang151; It has been more than a week since you correctly answered the last question. Please post your question ASAP. Otherwise, we will move on. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:44 PM
Ernie P.

All; It appears we have, once again, been the victims of a hit and run. As stang151 has not responded to my PMs or announcements here, we must move on. If anyone has a question ready, be my guest. Otherwise, I will post something tomorrow. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:18 PM
Ernie P.

All; Sorry, I've had a couple of very busy days. I'll try to get something up tomorrow or Sunday. If any one is ready now, please go ahead. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:26 PM
Ernie P.

Today's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft came into being at a period in time when aircraft companies were engaged in intense international competition to set new world records.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:57 PM
Hydro Junkie

F-4 Phantom II
Old 10-09-2022, 08:40 AM
Ernie P.

F-4 Phantom II
A good, though not correct, answer HJ. I'll award a bonus clue to attend today's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft came into being at a period in time when aircraft companies were engaged in intense international competition to set new world records.

2. Advances in aircraft technology were made as a result of this competition.

3. And the laurels were used to demonstrate the technological superiority of the companies, and countries, involved.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:41 AM
Ernie P.

Monday's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

3. And the laurels were used to demonstrate the technological superiority of the companies, and countries, involved.

4. The expense involved soon grew beyond the reach of a single aircraft company.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:43 AM
Ernie P.

Tuesday's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

4. The expense involved soon grew beyond the reach of a single aircraft company.

5. And those companies were increasingly backed in their attempts by the nations involved.

Old 10-12-2022, 06:05 AM
Ernie P.

Wednesday's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

5. And those companies were increasingly backed in their attempts by the nations involved.

6. This is the story of one such company, and the plane it produced.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:40 AM
Ernie P.

Thursday's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. This plane was built to counter several foreign planes which set some new records.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:38 AM
Ernie P.

Friday's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. This plane was built to counter several foreign planes which set some new records.

8. Our subject plane set several outright world records.
Old 10-15-2022, 03:20 AM
Ernie P.

Saturday's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. And by a fair margin.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:42 AM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

B-58 Hustler?
Old 10-15-2022, 03:19 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
B-58 Hustler?
Not the B -58, Johnny; but here's a bonus clue to help your efforts. Please try again. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. And by a fair margin.

10. Interestingly, several of the foreign record setters used engines produced by our subject aircraft’s manufacturer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.