Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

New Era III from RCM Plans

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 01:27 AM
erans

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very little progress today, I glued some balsa blocks for the wing tips.

Eran

Old 06-10-2018, 02:50 AM
erans

The wing tips now have all the balsa blocks in place ready for sanding.
I also cut and glued all the cup-strips.

Eran

Old 06-12-2018, 12:50 AM
erans

I sanded the wing tip balsa blocks to shape. I also glued some balsa strips nest to the servos so the covering will have something to hold into.
Next I sanded the whole wing as it is nearing completion.

Eran

Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 PM
erans

My OCD got hold on me and I had to fix the "holes" I had wrongly cut at the bottom of the wing. I was also annoyed by the few imperfections after sanding, so I used filler to fix that as well.The plans do not have provision for hinge blocks, but I think the area in contact with the hinge is reasonably small, so I decided to insert blocks where access is still available.
Eran

Old 06-21-2018, 11:57 PM
erans

I was waiting for a while to have the opportunity to show a friend how to fibreglass, but run out of patience and decided to do one side of the wing centre section.

Eran

Old 06-26-2018, 01:12 AM
erans

As I was studying the New Era III fuselage plans today, it became quite obvious that the O.S. 25FX (which I planned to use) will not be a good fit. The extension required to the nose will be excessive.I spent couple of hours searching the Internet for suitable replacement to the Lee-Vaco .19 and I am not yet sure if I have a solution. I decided to cut the sides with additional 10mm to have some leeway when a decision on engine is made.Then the fun of tracing and transferring the large sections onto the wood.

Cheers,
Eran

Old 06-26-2018, 04:53 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm curious as to what your search turned up, but I do have a couple of suggestions. The old OS Max 25 with the strap-on muffler was just as powerful with it's muffler as the Veco 19 without a muffler, and weighed about a half ounce more (w/muffler vs no muffler). It is short front to back, like the Veco. Of course, this is still much less power than the 25FX, but it is the power used at the time (when RC equipment was heavier).

Another choice that would give much more power (but still not as much as the 25FX) while keeping weight and size down would be the ASP 21 (8.2 oz w/muffler). I love that engine on the bench, but have not yet tried it in a plane. The old Irvine 25 (natural aluminum case) is quite compact and powerful (8.9 oz); the OS 25FP is the same weight, but less powerful. The Enya 30SS plain bearing is about 9 oz, VERY powerful (also very loud), pretty compact.

MA published a re-design of this model a few years back for the OS 25FX. Not only the nose, but the whole fuselage was lengthened.

Very nice work and a great project, thanks for posting.

Jim
Old 06-26-2018, 06:07 AM
erans

Hi Jim
I was completely unaware that there was a re-design with the FOX 25 engine. This may be a game changer (I got the "revisited" RCM plans 1219 downloaded from Outerzone).
Since I didn't cut any of the fuselage parts yet, I may get the new plans printed and have a closer look.

My short research today established that the Veco 19 produced around ~0.35 HP, weight ~192gm. Length drown on my plans as 62mm and the engine mount width is drown as ~30mm.
I looked at both ASP 21 and the ASP 15. The 21 is too long at 69mm, the 15 length is good at 60mm and 145gm, however I could not easily find power figures for this engine.
Intriguing option is the Enya 15CX TN. It should be under 60mm long and is 26mm wide, Weight 155gm and is rated as producing 0.52 HP. I have someone at my club who has similar engine and I will ask for his advice hopefully on Sunday.

Again, thank you for making me aware of the "Revisited" version of the plans, it may just resolve my pain by building this version.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 06-26-2018, 06:48 PM
buzzard bait

Why not make the nose 7mm longer, keeping the firewall as is? Then the ASP fits. If you're concerned about it, add a little length to the tail. Total difference might be an inch or so. Keep same formers and structure. I'm sure it will balance and fly fine.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:04 PM
erans

buzzard bait - My concern is the ASP engine, which I have not enough data on or know anyone who owns one (two stroke) to provide feedback. A friend has the ASP 52 four stroke and that one had the valve clearance screw sheered off within 2 hours of operation, but otherwise seems to be OK.
My minimum requirement from all my aeroplanes is reliability as I travel (what I consider) a fair distance to the airfield and have no tolerance for issues when I get there.
With some engines, there is sometimes a question mark over reliability in our very hot summers.

As a side note, I already allocated 10mm extra to the nose in my fuselage sides (that assuming I will continue with what I have).

Cheers,
Eran
Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 AM
buzzard bait

It's true, I have not seen much reporting on that engine. It's a size range that is getting displaced by electrics. I pick up engines on ebay, RCG and swap meets sometimes and there are many OOP types that would suit, for example the old Irvine 25, OS 25-28 FSR or 25SF, or Enya 25-30 and several others. Even the early OS Max 25 I mentioned should fly it very well. Can you get to a swap meet? All those engines are well-made and very reliable. But if you want a new current production engine, not much choice. Good luck, it's a very nice plane you've started, and I like seeing them with glow engines.

Jim

Last edited by buzzard bait; 06-27-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:32 AM
erans

Jim - The first engine I owned was the O.S. 25 FSR, a brilliant engine.
I will go "retro" if I have to, but with these engines being so old, even a "new in box" can have nasty surprises which will require additional investment (bearings, O-Rings etc).
There is no risk of electric motor for this build as I don't like electric powered aeroplanes.

I am going to be a bit slow on progress as my daughter is on school holidays for the next couple of weeks, but when time allows I will chip on.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 06-27-2018, 08:46 AM
buzzard bait

I've had very good luck with old engines, but here in the States I can pick them up cheap for parts if I need to, so I can imagine where you're coming from. Best of luck with it, Eran.

Jim
Old 06-30-2018, 03:48 AM
erans

I got the "Revisited" plans printed so I can make an assessment of the changes.
The engine drawn is the FOX 25.
Distance from the firewall to the back-plate of the spinner is now 84mm compared with 74mm
Total length from back of spinner to rudder LE is 865mm compared with 858mm, which indicate shorter fuselage from behind the firewall?
I checked the wings to make sure it is not a distortion, and they are perfectly aligned.

Bottom line is that I already allowed for the 10mm extra with my side of fuselage traces. Tomorrow I will have an opportunity to have a chat with an Enya "expert" and hopefully he will clarify some of my questions regarding the use of an Enya 15 which I can purchase new and should fit.

Cheers,
Eran

Old 06-30-2018, 08:31 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you are not asking for power advice, but I had one of these great little planes and powered it with the OS 25FSR. Perfect match off a grass runway. I hope the Enya 15 is strong enough...it would be sad to see it is underpowered after all your hard work. I lost the plane due to stupidity...ailerons were backwards on take off due to use of the xmitter with another plane. Happened about five years ago. I lament that loss even now. Pic below of the New Era! You are doing a great job of construction!
Old 07-01-2018, 03:36 AM
erans

maukaonyx - This was a beautiful New Era III. Great covering job. For a while I thought I am the only one interested in bringing back this model.

I had my chat today with the Enya "expert" at the airfield and showed him the plans. His thoughts were that the Enya 15 will not have the required power for this model.
He is an engine collector and have kindly offered me a Veco 19 for free
When I declined the kind offer, he suggested that the O.S 25FSR will be a great match for this aeroplane, and that he will have a look at his collection and see if he has one to sell / give me.
He will bring few engines he thinks are suitable to put against the plans and see if they will fit. It looks like I will be heading for the O.S. 25 FSR tough, as I do love this engine.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 07-01-2018, 11:09 AM
buzzard bait

I agree that the OS 25FSR is a really nice engine and I am not surprised it was a great combination with that plane. I found the throttle response to be very smooth and linear, engine always easy to start by hand. The stock muffler is a little restrictive; it makes better power with other mufflers. I used a TT 25/36 muffler and got a few extra hundred rpm. Muffler bolt spacing is 35mm which gives lots of options.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:03 AM
erans

Finally I managed to escape to my Cave and I quickly fibreglassed the top of the wing.
I may have a possible setback again as my friend indicated that he would like me to put together his new aeroplane, but this should not take long being an ARF.

Cheers,
Eran

Old 07-15-2018, 04:22 AM
erans

Today was a great day for this project.
The "engine collector" brought with him to the airfield a couple of engines that he thought may be of interest to me, a Supertiger .25 and an O.S. .20. Both will fit in the nose of the New Era III. He told me that he had a look at home and to he didn't think that the O.S. .25 FSR will fit as it was longer.
Also I was not worm to the idea of very old engine in the aeroplane (lets say pre O.S. 25 FSR) prior to today, I could not resist the O.S. MAX 20 R/C brand new in the box. On inspection it looks in mint condition. I was stunned that he was happy for me to have it for VERY low price.

So, engine has been selected, I am very excited to get on with the build. I hope to get onto making balsa dust soon.

Cheers,
Eran

Old 07-15-2018, 04:30 AM
buzzard bait

Very pretty engine! I had one (lost on a fly-away) and it was always an easy starter and a good runner; one of my favorites. Power, with muffler, will be a little less than an unmuffled Veco 19, but you are carrying much less weight than they had with the old radios. By current standards it might be a little low-powered, but if you don't need OOS vertical it should be fine. OS also made a 25 in the same case, a couple of mms taller, essentially identical weight. It was the same power muffled as the Veco unmuffled.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:36 AM
erans

buzzard bait - I do not need OOS vertical, so I think this engine will be a good fit.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 07-16-2018, 12:13 AM
erans

I decided to use the "Revisited" plan for the sides and top parts, taking advantage of the extra 10mm from the firewall already drown. I added below photos showing the difference.
Using the balsa I already traced when considering the original sides and top, I glued a cutting of the plan with a spray glue and made some dust in my Cave.

Cheers,
Eran

Old 07-19-2018, 05:29 AM
erans

My friend Brian got me this Tornado 9x4 prop in its original package which he had in his shed for the last 20-30 years.

I kept with preparing a "kit" by cutting the formers. I made the firewall out of two plywood sheets to get the correct thickness.
I drilled all the holes and had to "make a start", so I glued the first couple of items (the supports for F2A and F2B) to the fuselage sides.

Cheers,
Eran

Old 07-20-2018, 12:09 AM
erans

I got the blind nuts for the engine mount glued to the firewall, and trimmed the engine mount a bit to allow the engine to sit properly. In a hind site I took too much off...
I also drilled pilot holes for the "sheet metal" screws that will hold the engine to the mount.

I then tapered the top of the formers to accept the 3/8" triangles, and while at it, I cut a taper into the support for F2A and F2b which I glued into place yesterday. Oops...
Finally, I glued the 3/8" triangles to the top of the fuselage.

Cheers,
Eran

Old 07-21-2018, 12:26 AM
erans

Working on the fuselage, formers and firewall in place and the sides glued up to F3 (the balsa former).
Note the right thrust built in combined with the asymmetric firewall setup.

Cheers,
Eran

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.