Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Carf rebel pro

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Carf rebel pro

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 12:17 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

Essyou35 Is it normal practice for you to drain the UAT between flying sessions?

Last edited by Bob_B; 11-25-2022 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:54 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 160 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
More testing and here is what I noticed. When the UAT is drained, there is air that gets trapped inside that silver filter area. At low pump PW, its not enough to suck it out, but at high PW it is. However, once I do a vertical line, it will start sucking out the trapped air at 100 pw, and near 300 PW there is a lot of air. Rocking the UAT back and forth simulating up and down lines, everytime air goes into the line.

I think once it is completely purged it wouldnt be an issue but should I put up with this from a UAT? I have a recent BVM UAT sock type, I think I’ll just use that.
All UAT when new or drain will retain some air, the reason not to empty them ever, now to do maintenance they obviously have to be either removed or empty, if I empty them I always re-prime the system to get the air out of the UAT, perhaps what you saw there…..

I don’t have one that come from Global either Germany or USA, when Peter stop selling them I got a large order and still have 1 new one…..so I don’t know if they are different, I don’t think Peter sold the right….he just not producing them….
Old 11-25-2022, 05:29 AM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=rc4flying;12752429][I once had a gas engine fuel system causing air bubbles in the fuel line and the engine to flame out. It turned out to be a bad fuel pickup in the fuel tank causing the bubbles. I would have never suspected that problem without changing to clear line to do the true troubleshooting needed. The pickup was the bubble causing culprit. Changed the pickup, problem solved.]

As I stated above in my past experience. Now that I see those bubbles coming from the UAT, I would be changing out the UAT with another type to put the test of the filter in the UAT is causing the bubbles. There is just something maybe in this particular UAT's filter construction that maybe be causing the fuel to create those intermittent bubbles. As I have said, I seen this with a filtered pickup on a gas engine, I changed out the filtered pickup with an identical type, both were brand new, my problem was solved. reinstalled first filter and bubbles came back.

It would be worth the time to prove this out in my opinion.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:08 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

A couple notes:
I did drain it because I replumbed the system. Before I flew here is what I did on the ground:
Pulled the fuel line out of the turbine and took the pump PW past 300.
Once I started the jet, I went to WOT for about 10 seconds.
I did a 5 minute flight for the most part a goose flight.
Refueled.
ONce again went to WOT for 5 seconds.
Flew around for 4 minutes this time with verticle motions.
Flameout.

What is taking to get the air out of this:
Move UAT verticle.
Take pump PW to past 400
It continues to let air out for several minutes. Small air bubbles.

It probably takes me a good 3-4 minutes at 400 PW to ensure the air is gone.

This is not normal, I have an older intairco I drain all the time. A simple run up to WOT is all it is needed.

Im not going to say these are fake, but something is wrong with them. I am changing brands and this UAT beat up my brand new rebel pro.

I like the looks of these glass ones but Im going back to BVM uat. Or MAP I hear those are good.

This is 100% a UAT issue and while we can speculate about pruging, I assure the purging process is not normal, and there is not certainty it is purged!

In the end Im glad I figured it out. Ill report back staruday Im going to fly with the BVM UAT>
Old 11-25-2022, 11:24 AM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Try this UAT tank https://www.modelaviationproducts.co...-accessories/6
In my photo is a high flow 6oz tank but it sits at 45 degrees to allow air up and not close to the pickup.
The group I fly with all use these tank without any large amounts of air after aerobatic maneuvers or flameouts.
Is that Tygon line from your tank to the UAT, most engine manufacturers suggest Festo clear as it doesn't collapse under pressure.
Did you move the lines around while the pump is running to check for air leaks?
Old 11-26-2022, 01:22 PM
Racer686

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm trying to decide on which size UAT to put in the Rebel. I am leaning towards the FCT UAT https://fctjet.com/
I saw someone in the thread had a 100ml size in their Rebel, but I'm trying to decide between the 200ml (6.75oz) and the 350ml (~12oz) to go with my newly acquired Swiwin 220N.
I know that FCT is better known in the UK and Europe so if some of the regulars in this thread from across the pond can chime in, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 11-26-2022, 01:26 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 357 Likes on 287 Posts

I've had excellent luck with FCT, I had a 200ml in my Havoc that worked great.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:06 PM
Racer686

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I've had excellent luck with FCT, I had a 200ml in my Havoc that worked great.
What size turbine? In the 3.5m Havoc? That's reassuring!

Last edited by Racer686; 11-26-2022 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:43 AM
Skunkwrks

These UATs look similar to the other glass tubes UAT, with a lot of very glamorous jewelry to trap air bubbles.
From this photo, it looks like the pickup screen is near the rear of the cylinder so to avoid air going into the pump when vertical descending our planes.
It should mount it at 45 degrees to keep the air pocket from the inlet.
I know a lot of you Jet guys like the look of it on the crown deck of the Rebels but really it's a tool to help us fly without air bubbles into the engine.
Mounting it in line with the tank and engine helps to create a more centred CG when doing axial rolls increasing the flight performance of the aircraft.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:48 PM
essyou35

This is what I ended up doing, Im not sure why as my older intaircos do not need this. Ill think it over, I may not get to fly until spring. I just want this to work as I have 3 of them and if I give up on all 3 have to go into the trash.

I spent awhile purging air, it takes ALOT to get the air out of the filter. Never ever had this issue before. Ill keep it full and then Ill got wot and lift up the nose before flight.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:53 PM
essyou35

BTW one more flameout and the jet is toast. 11k down the drain because of some sort of voodoo going on here. The G1 skymaster mig 29 I had, seems to have the same voodoo but with the landing gears!
Old 11-29-2022, 12:08 PM
Skunkwrks

Talking

This is what I ended up doing, Im not sure why as my older intaircos do not need this. Ill think it over, I may not get to fly until spring. I just want this to work as I have 3 of them and if I give up on all 3 have to go into the trash.

I spent awhile purging air, it takes ALOT to get the air out of the filter. Never ever had this issue before. Ill keep it full and then Ill got wot and lift up the nose before flight.

So does it fit under the canopy?
I tried my MAP tank here but it made contact with the canopy so it went down below away from all the electronics which don't like Kerosene fuel juice. Lol
Still running Tygon , only for fueling the tank and overflow line.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:21 PM
essyou35

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks
So does it fit under the canopy?
I tried my MAP tank here but it made contact with the canopy so it went down below away from all the electronics which don't like Kerosene fuel juice. Lol
Still running Tygon , only for fueling the tank and overflow line.
I had to take a bit of angle out, I had it at 50 degrees its about 30 now. I was hoping to go fly it, maybe Ill get a chance this year yet. If not and hard cold sets in, I may actually mount this vertically down below. This would help it purge during idle and wot run up before taxi out. Some sort of flaw with these that holds air inside the silver filter. My other one is mounted horizontal for 12 years and I drain it all the time. This is def strange.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:32 PM
Skunkwrks

I had to take a bit of angle out, I had it at 50 degrees its about 30 now. I was hoping to go fly it, maybe Ill get a chance this year yet. If not and hard cold sets in, I may actually mount this vertically down below. This would help it purge during idle and wot run up before taxi out. Some sort of flaw with these that holds air inside the silver filter. My other one is mounted horizontal for 12 years and I drain it all the time. This is def strange.
Hey glad you tried this position but if you mount it below you have lots of room for mounting .
With it 45 degrees it's a lot less likely to inhale air into the filter. Putting it vertically you'll inhale air while staying inverted! Oh and change that Tygon feed line from the tank.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:38 PM
essyou35

Hey glad you tried this position but if you mount it below you have lots of room for mounting .
With it 45 degrees it's a lot less likely to inhale air into the filter. Putting it vertically you'll inhale air while staying inverted! Oh and change that Tygon feed line from the tank.
The tygon is on the fill line. I have festo from tank to UAT, then I have that clear line (came with my carf flash) going from the UAT to the pump.

I found tygon works well for the fill line as its easy to remove the fuel dot and plug it back in.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:07 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Wait.....shouldn't the fill line be on the bottom and the tank line on the top so that you can empty it?

Last edited by smcharg; 11-30-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:58 AM
essyou35

Originally Posted by smcharg
Wait.....shouldn't the fill line be on the bottom and the tank line on the top so that you can empty it?
The fill line is the tygon line and it is on the bottom, the top line is festo and goes to the tank.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:03 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

The fill line is the tygon line and it is on the bottom, the top line is festo and goes to the tank.
I knew that...I was just testing you.

I saw the black line and confused myself. It happens as you get older.
The following 2 users liked this post by smcharg:
sewbusy (11-30-2022), Skunkwrks (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:39 AM
sewbusy

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Happens to all of us. 🤣
Old 11-30-2022, 09:53 AM
Skunkwrks

Totally agree Scott. Lol
Old 11-30-2022, 11:52 AM
Racer686

I received my FCT UAT today. It is a very nice piece of kit, well sized barbed compression fittings and the fuel intake is centred in all directions in the tank. Giddy up slow boat from Thailand! Parts are building up with no home.

200ml FCT UAT

Old 11-30-2022, 11:53 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 357 Likes on 287 Posts

Yea, I had an entire corner of my shop devoted to turbine, radio equipment, servos, UAT et all for my Hot and looked at it wistfully for a couple months before the airplane finally arrived. I was at the Old Dominion depot before the pictures downloaded from the email I got
Old 11-30-2022, 12:37 PM
essyou35

Maybe off topic, but how do these UAT work? I know the old BVM uat have a sock and as long as fuel is touching it, it sucks fuel not air. Same with the ones that use the paper filters.
Mine having what looks like a fish tank diffuser, and others like it, what is the principle behind the operation? As in what is the point of the stone filter.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:36 PM
Skunkwrks

Exclamation

[QUOTE=Racer686;12753194]I received my FCT UAT today. It is a very nice piece of kit, well sized barbed compression fittings and the fuel intake is centred in all directions in the tank. Giddy up slow boat from Thailand! Parts are building up with no home.

200ml FCT UAT

That looks like it will work just fine. Now are up mounting it at 45 degrees, so the air stays up the fill inlet?
So is that a glass tube pressed against an o-ring and held together with the clamps?
Keep getting all your parts and even more so when the assembly begins it will finish without hiccups .Do you have your Gyro purchased?

Old 11-30-2022, 04:09 PM
Racer686

That looks like it will work just fine. Now are up mounting it at 45 degrees, so the air stays up the fill inlet?
So is that a glass tube pressed against an o-ring and held together with the clamps?
Keep getting all your parts and even more so when the assembly begins it will finish without hiccups .Do you have your Gyro purchased?
I'll be mounting it flat on the dome and the clamps are for mounting to the deck. It's part pressure fit with the o-rings and part mechanical with the cage around the pick up holding things together.
I ordered the Powerbox Competition SR2 with igyro sat and gps on Black Friday. I'm still tracking, honestly, 11 packages from Black Friday plus I just ordered my CMJets tank and I still need to order my Electron retracts. Who by the way, (Electron) did not have a Black Friday sale like they did last year, that 20% off was really gonna help my sanity as I was spending up a storm for this jet. I must have refreshed their website, Facebook page and Insta page 100 times each, over the course of the day waiting for the code to appear.
The following users liked this post:
Skunkwrks (11-30-2022)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.