Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Carf rebel pro

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Carf rebel pro

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 05:11 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 160 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
On the Jeti OR Core, is the two rx thing truly redundant or is a 50/50 thing like futaba where if one RX goes out you lose half the jet. If Im going to get a powerbox it can do two rx in truly redundant mode but still one source of failure.
‘The Jeti I completely redundant on up to 3 Receiver’s…..2x on 2.4 and 1x on 900, there’s different way to set them up….and you get telemetry from all 3x RX, and if equip with a CB’s you get a whole bunch of telemetry with as well….plus any other sensor you wish

oh and they listen to the users… unlike some other company’s…..

each 2.4 have 2x antenna’s and the TX has 4x 2.4 antenna and 2x 900
Old 01-24-2022, 05:20 PM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
‘The Jeti I completely redundant on up to 3 Receiver’s…..2x on 2.4 and 1x on 900, there’s different way to set them up….and you get telemetry from all 3x RX, and if equip with a CB’s you get a whole bunch of telemetry with as well….plus any other sensor you wish

oh and they listen to the users… unlike some other company’s…..

each 2.4 have 2x antenna’s and the TX has 4x 2.4 antenna and 2x 900

I use the third receiver to turn on the model, no switch button or pins used. So four antennas set at 90 degrees opposite each other and all four-pointing in different directions to each receiver signal, this is very important.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:22 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks
I use the third receiver to turn on the model, no switch button or pins used. So four antennas set at 90 degrees opposite each other and all four-pointing in different directions to each receiver signal, this is very important.
The wireless receiver (aka the switch) is not part of the 2.4 antenna’s it also available with 2x 2.4 and 1x 900 running

So just to be clear it’s NOT a third receiver but simply a Switch

The European sell a RCSwitch inside there’s a 2” antenna (or so), but for the cost of FCC and CA, I guess esprit didn’t think it was of any value, the price is pretty closed to the R3 so why go through all that process……

Last edited by Dansy; 01-24-2022 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:56 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by smcharg
I'm a little late to this party but if you like eye candy (me too), look at the Digitech line of UATs. They are very similar to Interairco. Dreamworks sells them and Chief Aircraft does as well. Note - I had to order a 6mm fitting and they were completely out of stock everywhere except BoomaRC in Austrailia. I ordered it dreading the shipping to the US and to my lovely surprise, had it in less than 1 week. Great service.
Can you tell me what each component is? I see the fuel pump, ecu, uat etc but what is the rest?
Old 01-24-2022, 10:04 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 736 Likes on 532 Posts

https://www.powerbox-systems.com/pro...x-systeme.html
Old 01-25-2022, 05:15 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
Can you tell me what each component is? I see the fuel pump, ecu, uat etc but what is the rest?

1. KingTech DRM (Data Relay Management) - ECU is now built into the turbine
2. Digitech 250ml UAT with 6mm fittings
3. KingTech fuel pump
4. Fill line for UAT (4mm) - Not sure why Digitech decided this was the size to go with but I'm OK with it
5. PowerBox Competition SR2
6. PowerBox iGyro SAT - turns the Competition SR2 into a 12-axis gyro
7. Electron GS200 Controller for retracts and steering
8. PowerBox Display screen for Competition SR2
9. Switch for PowerBox Competition SR2 as well as the method to input changes to SR2
Not marked - Those are slots that are lined with a 3D printed material from "The Lighter Side of RC" in which all the wires run through i.e. cable management

Note - This is the Rebel Max which is why there's so much room. Holler if you need anything else.
The following users liked this post:
essyou35 (01-25-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:56 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, how are you holding down the wiring in the jet?
Old 02-01-2022, 09:55 PM
Dave Wilshere

DW method! Wrap in insulation tape and CA down. Light, neat and repeatable. I’ve been doing it that way for 20 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave Wilshere:
Dakota72 (10-07-2022), furloughed ual (02-02-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 10:23 PM
Joe1199

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
DW method! Wrap in insulation tape and CA down. Light, neat and repeatable. I’ve been doing it that way for 20 years.
that’s it Dave 👍🏻 I tend to use heat shrink tube as well, easier to get a neat finish on the smaller wiring

i have a question, I have just fitted a smoke system, smoke tank is behind wing tube, so re check CG with tank full? Or is the difference in weight unimportant so close to CG?

Old 02-02-2022, 06:40 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

My opinion only here. First, CG is always important but CG is MOST important on approach and landing as that's where the jet is the slowest with the least amount of control authority and the aircraft is in the dirtiest (read drag) condition. What I'm trying to say is that while you want a good CG, the Rebel has quite a range and I believe it's bigger on the Pro and Max than what they say (again, just my opinion). I would recommend setting your CG for "worst case" scenario i.e. landing configuration with tanks empty. An aft CG can be much more dangerous than a neutral or stable (nose heavy) aircraft. If you want to see the difference after you set that, put a little smoke fluid in based on the amount one normally lands with and some fuel in the main tank (again what is typically there after "x" minutes of flight). If you do this, you know that in the worst case (all tanks minus UAT) are empty and you are still in the bounds of the CG range and under normal circumstances, your CG will be forward of that. As long as you are in the range, you're going to be good to go.

While I agree that the smoke fluid shouldn't make a lot of difference because it's so close to the tube (aka CG point recommended), there is still some difference so take it into account but only after the CG is set for worst scenario.

NOTE - I guess in this particular case and because of the position of the smoke tank, worst case COULD be full smoke (behind the CG) and empty fuel but let common sense prevail.

Last edited by smcharg; 02-02-2022 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:05 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by Joe1199
that’s it Dave 👍🏻 I tend to use heat shrink tube as well, easier to get a neat finish on the smaller wiring

i have a question, I have just fitted a smoke system, smoke tank is behind wing tube, so re check CG with tank full? Or is the difference in weight unimportant so close to CG?
I fly a lot with smoke fluid….personally I never fill my smoke tank, I put enough for the fun of it and I always land smoke tank empty…..
smcharg (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 10:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

In the case of a Rebel it’s not fussy on balance, but I would balance with 1/4 full smoke tank in this case. Just for a consistent feel through the flight…if it makes as much mess as most smoke systems in the fuse he won’t use it much 😉

Old 02-02-2022, 10:55 AM
Dansy

In the case of a Rebel it’s not fussy on balance, but I would balance with 1/4 full smoke tank in this case. Just for a consistent feel through the flight…if it makes as much mess as most smoke systems in the fuse he won’t use it much 😉
actually the Pro did and still make quite a mess inside, but that’s the only jet we had mess every flight, change the tube ect many time still a mess
Old 02-02-2022, 11:41 AM
Dave Wilshere

The rear fuselage shape and ducting can suck from the back. The only way to limit it is really control the oil flow and maximise atomisation from the nozzle
Old 02-02-2022, 11:52 AM
Dansy

The rear fuselage shape and ducting can suck from the back. The only way to limit it is really control the oil flow and maximise atomisation from the nozzle
‘We try that….but like I said the rebel is the only one that does that….and we try a lot of different thing….low flow does minimize the mess…but why turn down may as well have no smoke….

But I understand what your saying….

Last edited by Dansy; 02-02-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:00 PM
Skunkwrks

Why not run the tube to the rear of the pipe and introduce it in the exhaust there. Most aerobatic jets do this , Blue Angels ,Thunderbirds and Snowbirds.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Dave Wilshere

Temperature is too low…so worse for excess oil left…but it does not get over the problem of the excess sucking back into the fuselage. That’s all aerodynamic.
When you are going quickly the un ducted fuselage purges the fuselage of air out the back, when you slow down either slow pass and power up or at the top of a climb when the speed reduces and the turbine is sucking in huge amounts of air it sucks the smoke oil in from the back…
Old 02-02-2022, 03:42 PM
Dansy

Why not run the tube to the rear of the pipe and introduce it in the exhaust there. Most aerobatic jets do this , Blue Angels ,Thunderbirds and Snowbirds.
‘What does have to do with this tread….are your running smoke in a Rebel?

I know what military does….I spend my adult life flying in military planes and fixing them (Flight Engineer)

back to the rebel…
Old 02-02-2022, 05:33 PM
Skunkwrks

Possible I will , you have made your background well known .................................................. ......................................oh mine should be delivered in the next month or so.

So exhaust gas is 650 -700F at the cone of the tip and Dave your saying it cools down so much when it gets to the exit of the pipe that the Culmius smoke oil won't atomize.

Also the oil could be inhaled into the pipe a slow speeds , I still would have a rear atomizing point for the oil.

All of the new pumps can be adjusted to throttle position and decrease the amount of oil for the smoke stream.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:38 PM
Skunkwrks

If one does use the exhaust cone to atomize the smoke oil you can run the tubing down beside the exhaust pipe preheating the oil before entering the exhaust flow.

Desertlakesflying (02-03-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 09:47 PM
Dave Wilshere

Tried that, ran the tube between the walls of the pipe with the same idea…poor smoke.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:39 AM
Dansy

Possible I will , you have made your background well known .................................................. ......................................oh mine should be delivered in the next month or so.

So exhaust gas is 650 -700F at the cone of the tip and Dave your saying it cools down so much when it gets to the exit of the pipe that the Culmius smoke oil won't atomize.

Also the oil could be inhaled into the pipe a slow speeds , I still would have a rear atomizing point for the oil.

All of the new pumps can be adjusted to throttle position and decrease the amount of oil for the smoke stream.
To my knowledge temp is 700 is max and not at the cone tip but where ever is the probe, normally before the Turbine, flying temp which is around 450, of course that vary with size and brand….with a long pipe like the RPro…. The smoke fluid would have a hard time….

2 Tubes right at the motor cone, full size smoke fluid…k210 not full flow or full throttle either

Last edited by Dansy; 02-03-2022 at 04:48 AM.
Canadian Man (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 08:33 AM
Skunkwrks

Talking

Originally Posted by Dansy
To my knowledge temp is 700 is max and not at the cone tip but where ever is the probe, normally before the Turbine, flying temp which is around 450, of course that vary with size and brand….with a long pipe like the RPro…. The smoke fluid would have a hard time….

2 Tubes right at the motor cone, full size smoke fluid…k210 not full flow or full throttle either

Good to know the issues you experienced with smoke assemblies not working properly.

I would agree that with larger 210 and up that two smoke tips would be necessary for excellent smoke .

I believe the powerbox is the only smoke pump with two outlets from the pump. Great photo

Old 02-03-2022, 11:25 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I personally only run my smoke tubes out the end of the jet. I have not been in the hobby as long as some and I do not know if it creates less smoke or not. But I do know that there is less chance for spilling, overflow or siphoning back into the fuse and there is less of a chance for damage to my fuse or turbine because of a fire.
Tone
Skunkwrks (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 01:49 PM
Skunkwrks

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
I personally only run my smoke tubes out the end of the jet. I have not been in the hobby as long as some and I do not know if it creates less smoke or not. But I do know that there is less chance for spilling, overflow or siphoning back into the fuse and there is less of a chance for damage to my fuse or turbine because of a fire.
Tone
For an example, smoke oil nipples added after combustion in a muffler, either two-cylinder or four-cylinder two-stroke in acrobatic planes.

They can produce heat of near 325F just above the spark plug in say a DA120 so the exhaust temperature at one from the exhaust is were the smoke nipples are located.

There is enough heat in the exhaust stream to produce excellent smoke clouds while 3D flying at stall to full speeds.

I'm leaning more toward trying the rear of the exhaust cone, it will be cleaner for the plane in the long run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.